Chapter Thirteen || A matter of time

"Is there no way out of the mind?"

- Sylvia Plath

"Thank you for waiting!" Ed shouted excitedly on top of the stage

"Thank you for waiting!" Ed shouted excitedly on top of the stage. The crowd nodded up at him also excited. "It's worth it. You'll see. Believe in her passion and your champion she'll be. Bombs can't stop her! Nor bullets, too! 'Cause she's here to speak out and fight for you!"

Charlotte watched Ed from the middle of the crowd with pride shining in her eyes. She let out a chuckle because of his showman's skills.

In the last two months, they had been very intimate with one another. She liked how things were going between them. What Charlotte was worried about was him seeing the Riddler again. He would be so sad sometimes and she would immediately know he had seen him. She was also worried her mood would change suddenly because of her disorder. She had been in a stable mood in the last couple of weeks, but was always afraid that would change.

The blonde felt someone stop beside her and she looked over only to see Captain Jim Gordon. "Oh, God, no..."

He glared at her with that grumpy expression she knew so well and then he looked up at Ed as he continued speaking to the crowd.

"Ready to battle? Ready to rock? People of the Narrows, here's The Doc!" Ed pointed his hands at the staircase beside the stage and Lee descended the steps with a kind smile directed to the crowd. Then her eyes landed on Jim Gordon.

Lee recovered from the surprise of seeing her past lover right there in front of her and held her hands up to quiet down the audience. "This morning someone tried to kill me". Her words caused everyone to shout 'what?' in shock. "Maybe it was someone from the outside. Maybe it was one of you". They started saying 'no', but Lee quickly spoke again. "You know what, I don't know, and I don't care. But what I do know is that someone did not like what I was saying. Now, why would the idea of a united Narrows scare people? I'll tell you why! Because a united Narrows is a strong Narrows! And guess what. They should be scared".

Everyone raised their drinks in the air and shouted in agreement up at their leader

Everyone raised their drinks in the air and shouted in agreement up at their leader. Ed had seen Jim Gordon too and appeared between the Captain and Charlotte. He placed an arm around Charlotte's shoulders and looked up at Lee.