Chapter Twenty-Two

Tsarina Nikola's called me into the study, but this time, Duke Dmitri is at her side. He sits beside a spinning globe of the world, drumming his fingers over vast swathes of land. Tsarina Nikola reads from a book on war and strategy, her lips pursed thin. Eyes burning into mine with all the intensity of an empire behind her.

"My husband, Alexandr, has told me you have very specific views on the Great War." Duke Dmitri's lip curls as the tsarina gets to her feet, staring down at my bowed head. "Enlighten me."

"I believe it would be better, for you and the people, if we did not enter it."

"Why?"

I look to Dmitri, who stares placidly back. The tsarina's eyes, however, do not leave my face. "Because I had a vision."

"Charlatan!" Dmitri snarls. "Cousin Nikola..."

"Tsarina." She corrects.

"Tsarina," here Dmitri gets to his feet, another flourishing bow directed to the tsarina before he speaks. Pompous ass. "Any frequenter of opium dens or taverns might have these visions. What use is Miss Rasputina to your house except for her entertainment value? War councils should not be staffed by street magicians."

"Nor should monarchs be challenged by lesser nobles." Dmitri sits down as the tsarina's sweltering gaze turns on him. "Rasputina," the tsarina walks closer to me, and I feel a chill as I am trapped within her shadow. "Tell me." She leans in so close that her eyes, I'm sure, can see into my soul. "Are you a common charlatan?"

I look into her eyes, willing the dark mirror of magic to reflect in them. Willing her to see the world as I do, as something that can be controlled. But, perhaps, we are not so different in that respect. We are the puppet masters, and the rest of the world our marionettes.

"You know what I can do. Your husband. Your children." I glance at Dmitri, hoping he didn't notice my emphasis on the last part. On Alexei's weakness. "I know you are wise, tsarina. I know you are burdened by forces even beyond your power. But believe me when I say that I see so many, many deaths should we enter the Great War."

The tsarina reaches for my hand. My fingertip twitches and the globe that was spinning carelessly next to Dmitri trembles and totters over to the ground. The resounding crash as the globe splits open. A nervous gaggle of servants as they rush to right it. Dmitri, perturbed, retreats towards the shadows.

The tsarina looks listlessly to the halved globe on the floor, to my outstretched fingertips.

"Witch." Dmitri hisses.

The tsarina shrugs, placing her head in her hands. "Please, Dmitri. Don't go jumping at shadows. It's why you were a paltry soldier, at best." Her cousin quiets, lips pursed so tight that he looks like a fish on a plate. "Miss Rasputina has done nothing to warrant this line of questioning. And besides, the children adore her as a caretaker."

I bow, a sparkle back in my eyes. "I treat them as my own."

"I know." The tsarina glances back. "You're a strange addition to our family, aren't you?" Bristling at the implication, she motions towards the door. "Escort the Duke and Miss Rasputina to their respective rooms. And, please, ensure they don't bite each other's heads off."

"I wouldn't stoop so low as to eat diseased flesh." The Duke mutters.

"And I don't like the taste of snakeskin." I reply.

The servants make good on their promise. The Duke and I are together for only an awkward, silent moment in the hall. Two of the maids, Ursula's friends, lead me to my room. They smile slightly at me. I'm assuming that Kaskil and Ursula have told them something good about me. Or perhaps, something ridiculous. Either way, they don't mind me, and I don't much despise them. It's a pleasant change of pace from being called witch on a regular basis.

I clench my fists, keeping my hands tight at my sides. No more spinning globes for me. No more unhappy accidents.

I hope.