Chapter 18: Ash

Gold Fields

Fractured Code

Chapter 18

Ash

Walking through the garden was peaceful as always. The sky was clear and bright. The air was hot and muggy. Running her hands over her bright green and deep brown dress. She had it tailored to her own form. She sipped the tea that had been given to her by her own brother. It tasted sweet to her tongue. Sitting back trying to enjoy herself.

The room was dark, you could hear a cricket chirping somewhere in the room. Inkys blankets were pulled tightly around her. The bunk over her bowed in from Zareths weight. Luckily it didn't break over the tiny body that was Inky.

A dark shadow walked through the room looking down at Inky. The bright purple eyes of Cryptor walked over to the books. A match fell onto its bindings. Cryptor turned to look back at Inky and pulled the blankets around her forcefully as if it were a second thought. He didn't mean to do it, or it was a sudden order. He threw her over his shoulder. Her legs kicked around and muffled yells could be heard coming from the thick blankets. A soft white jacket fell to the floor as Cryptor left.

Flames rose into the air licking the tapestries around the throne room. Duchess screamed and ran looking out the windows, tried to open doors. There was fire everywhere.

"Brother!"

"Burn with me..." His expression never changed as he watched her run from window to window like a frightened rabbit.

Zareth sat up looking around the room. There were flames everywhere. He pulled his legs up looking around the room.

"Brother? Someone help me!" He yelled, although the voice sounded so much smaller then Zareths actual voice.

Inky could hear him. She struggled with Cryptor. Pushing and shoving at him. Inky turned pushing a shard of ink into Cryptors arm. He yelled in pain letting go of the angry girl. He watched her run back up into the mill.

Inkys eyes burned immediately as she ran into the building.

"Uncle Zareth!" She yelled running over to the scared man. When he turned to see her standing there. The look he gave her wasn't of relief if was of panic. He shoved her down on the ground. She looked up at him in disbelief.

"Get away from me. You caused this!" Inkys heart sank. He was right she caused all of this. Perhaps she deserved this hell thats going on around them. She just lay there running her fingers along the suitcase bronzed clasp.

Rain ran along Zareths hair as he looked back at the house. He looked around himself again and something clicked and he straightened up looking around again.

"Inky?" His eyes locked onto Cryptor who just smiled at him. "You..." He took a step toward him. But the nindroid pointed back at the mill.

"Inky and Danny are inside...you left them there."

Zareth wasn't even sure how he even go outside in the first place.

Inky felt herself being picked up, her coughing was sharp and she breathed in gasps wheezing as she tried. She felt the rain on her face as she did. She coughed again feeling herself being lay down on the ground next to the suitcase. She lay her head down onto the casing.

"Mom..." She whispered feeling someone pat her back. She could barely make out Cryptor through her haze, and rain. The mud caked shoes of Zareth came into view.

"You endangered my family Cryptor." It was beyond the angry tone that Zareth had used in the past. But why...didn't she deserve to die? Wasn't that supposed to be her tomb? Inky coughed up more ash and soot. It sprayed the top of the suitcase.

"You should get her to a hospital." Cryptor chuckled turning to leave.

"Get back here!" Zareth held a gun up to the nindroid. Cryptors eyes flashed as he turned and charged at Zareth. Lightning flashed off in the distance causing Inky to gasp and curl tighter around the suitcase. This caused her to cough up more soot.

Mud splashed as both Zareth and Cryptor punched and kicked at one another. Zareth knew how hard Cryptor could hit. He took a punch from him before. He dodged as much as he could. Throwing as many as he could himself. The gun lay in a puddle of mud out of there reach.

Inky watched as Cryptor pushed Zareths head into the mud. Zareth tried to push Cryptor off himself but he was incredibly heavy.

"Get off you fucking cow." He reached up grabbing his face. "You are a bad nindroid. We should never have trusted you." Zareth growled out feeling himself getting sucked into the water. The fields there were saturated with water cause of the snow.

"I warned her of what may happen. She knew what I was, what I may become again." Cryptor growled out.

"And you gave in...like a bitch." Zareths optics flashed blinding Cryptor. He grabbed his eyes as Zareth flung him over his own body. Cryptor landed harshly on his head. He lay limply on the ground. His shoulder joint popped and sputtered as it got wet. His optics turned red for a moment.

"Inky...s...sorry." He optics went out. Zareth turned to look at Inky. Her eyes were still open, he could still hear her wheezing from there. She coughed up more soot and ink. Her head lay on the suitcase almost protectively. He rolled her over so he could put his head against her chest. He closed his eyes letting Zane scan her lungs.

'She's not getting enough Oxygen Zareth. To much soot.'

"I bet Mr. Police Officer there has a built in O2 mask." Zareth turned and threw open Cryptors cloak and grabbed his chest plate pulling it off forcefully. "Sorry Cryptor...its for Inky." He grabbed the O2 mask fitting it over Inkys face.

"Come on baby, breath." He whispered running his fingers through her soaked hair, kissing her forehead. She turned her head to the coldness of his fingers.

"Dad...?" she whispered.

"Well...sorta." He whispered "Ah geez my head hurts, I'm covered in mud, I should kick your ass again Cryptor...big fucking jerk." He sighed closing his eyes.