Distracted: Chapter Four

"Wake up, sleepy head."

Erin opened her eyes to a dusky blue dawn. She tried to sit but the sudden movement rocked the hammock and it started to flip over.

"Whoa." Spence put anchoring foot on the deck and caught her about the waist before she tumbled out.

"Did we sleep out here?" Erin's strapless dress bunched around her waist and sand still clung to the skirt. Thank goodness, she thought, her top was still in place.

"I'm a mess." She ran her tongue over her teeth and smacked noisily. "I need my toothbrush."

Spence smiled at her lack of pretension and noted her tousled hair, sticking up wildly.

"And you've got bed head," he added.

"Well, you're not so pretty yourself this morning."

Actually, he was.

"I'm not supposed to be," he drawled.

"And I am? That's a chauvinistic thing to say."

"I didn't say it."

"You intimated it. Never mind, I've got to pee."

"Want me to come along?"

"Thanks; I think I can handle this one alone."

She stood and gave the hammock a shove. Her fingers still wrapped in the webbing, she jerked it back and tumbled Spence onto the deck.

"I'll remember this."

Erin stuck out her tongue, then scooted through the sliding doors and down the hallway and into her room. She tossed her crumpled dress on the floor and turned on the shower. She washed her hair and poured a generous helping of gel on the puff. As she scrubbed her body she ran her hands sensuously over her breasts and her belly. Hugging herself, she thought about Spence's smile.

"Don't do this," she said aloud. "This is not a vacation. He is your client. No hanky panky allowed."

She opted for shorts and a white T-shirt. She didn't bother drying her hair and instead of using makeup, she applied a moisturizer. She surveyed herself in the mirror. No more sexy, she avowed. From now on, it's plain old Erin.

She went in search of food and found a pot of coffee brewing on the kitchen counter. She pulled open drawers and cabinet doors until she found a cup and a spoon. Thank goodness, she thought, as she located a pint of half-and-half in the refrigerator. Now where does he keep the sugar? She found it, and not much more, behind a sliding panel. He was right; he didn't have many "vittles" in his pantry.

She took the steaming mug to the living room and curled on the couch. She enjoyed quiet, relaxing mornings. Then she heard the distinct ring of her cell phone. She spotted the evening bag by the front door. She put the coffee mug on the side table and went to answer the call.

"Erin? Where are you? Have you met with Spence?"

"Patricia? Hi. Yes, I have."

"Good. Any problems?"

"No, of course not. Everything's fine." Erin sat on the couch and tossed her purse onto the table next to her coffee.

"What's your evaluation so far?"

"Well, he's a bit distracted, but I think he's pleasant. I'm confident we'll be on schedule soon."

"I'm counting on you, Erin. You're my best, but I don't want you to underestimate this assignment."

"No problem, Patricia. I can handle him. He's nothing more than a big kid."

"Right. Okay then, keep me informed."