Distracted: Chapter Twenty

The gallery opening was on the first day of spring -- the vernal equinox. Well, it was a good thing she didn't have plans or she would have had to decline despite Patricia's personal invite.

Not that she had plans lately. Her personal life consisted of the occasional letter from Aidan and Sunday morning telephone chats with her sister.

It was boring, but she wasn't complaining. She would lounge in her nightgown, sip coffee and listen to Mariah chat about folks at home. About East of Eaton, the new bookstore in town and about the murder trial of the surgeon who killed his wife and almost got away. Erin heard about Tom's mid-term exam woes, Ben's latest skateboarding accident, and how the baseball team lost its batting coach when Mike Wolfson returned to the major leagues. Turns out Alec Boone and Bridget Cormac really are more than friends, and Mr. Jinks, Sammy's cat, is a female. In fact, Jinks was a mommy.

"Want a kitten? We've got four and they're climbing the curtains."

"That's hardly an endorsement."

"Well, they are cute. But darn it, I'm not keeping them. I don't care what Jerry says."

"Jerry," Erin echoed. "Why does he care?"

"Oh, he says they're great mousers. The truth is he loves the little demons. He'll walk around the farmyard with them clawing their way up his jeans. He has one that he carries around on his shoulder. He thinks they're 'clever' like the talking animals in a 'Peter Rabbit' book."

Erin read Aidan's letters with eagerness. He settled into a loft, spending most of his time reading, having class discussions and researching.

"If you change your mind, you can come live with me," he wrote. "Freelance from here if you like or I can take care of you. I've received a grant from the National Science Foundation and it provides me with housing and a generous stipend."

When she wrote back, her letters were brief and cheery, wishing him well and encouraging him with his research. She ignored his repeated offers.

"I think your latest paper on coastal aquifers and salinity balances was fascinating and I'm thrilled that your laboratory has been funded for another year ...."

Strangely, she found herself anticipating the gala. Being picked up in a limousine and whisked away to a party would be a nice diversion.

She spent Thursday afternoon shopping for the Friday night affair. She settled on a stunning strapless gown by Darius Cordell. Form fitting, the gown ended in a puddle around her feet. The bodice was studded with diamonds. Okay, rhinestones, but at $1,500 they darn well should have been diamonds.

On Friday, she treated herself to a day at the spa, first in a mud bath, then wearing an organic algae mask while one person gave her a manicure and another a pedicure. During the Swedish massage, Erin had a flashback to a summer morning at the lake. A rush of blood flooded her face at the memory and she could swear that she smelled cucumber. She peered across the salon and saw a row of women relaxing on chaises, cucumber slices on their eyelids.

What a waste, she thought, then giggled. It was the first time she had been able to think of him without hurting.

Later than evening, Erin waited in her apartment building doorway for the limo. She was afraid to step out; afraid someone would trample her gown, spill something on the beautiful, faux fur wrap. Her mother's diamond pendants swung from her ears and she clutched her white satin evening bag to her chest.

Abruptly, and with a hail of car horns from irate cab drivers, a long black limousine muscled its way to the curb. The driver, elegant in his tuxedo, stepped out and opened a back door for her.