Two • Grayson

I make it into my apartment in the worst shape I have ever been in after I heard his usual excuse. It wasn't like this was the first time he had said it. He usually says it after almost every big loss and a few frustrating regular season losses. I know he messes around a bit, and I never let it get the best of me. But somehow tonight was different. I thought that either way we would be spending it together. Either celebrating and getting ready for the playoffs or movie night and talking about anything other than hockey. We hadn't exactly made plans that were set in stone, but I felt like if tonight was going to be a loss, then he might want to spend it with me. Or maybe I was just hoping for that. That's the way things used to be before he joined the league. A lot has changed since then, that was for sure.

I open the door to my apartment and my roommate Alissa walks out in a little red dress and heels.

"Oooh girl where are you going?" I ask genuinely interested, "It's only like... 9 o'clock."
She finishes putting her earrings on and replies, "Yeah, a couple of my girlfriends and I are going bar/club hopping, you're more than welcome to come."
I think about it for a second. The thought of Connor in someone else's bed makes my stomach clench. The more it lingers there the more the idea of letting loose doesn't seem so bad. I need a distraction from my feelings. "What time are you leaving?"

About an hour later I was dressed in a long sleeve black dress that came down to mid thigh and some black strappy heels. I feel pretty confident. I stop in the mirror to apply the finishing touch: red lipstick.

I need to lose a little bit of tension before I can even go out, so I drop in the kitchen and head over to alcohol cabinet for a shot or two of vodka.

"Damnnn baby." Liss yells playfully. She grabs my hand and twirls me around.
"I need a distraction tonight." I say, carefully pouring the liquor and then shooting it back.
"Is Connor McJesus giving you a warning sign from the creator himself? Again?" she chuckles.
"Oh my god." I take that second shot quickly. And then a third.

We meet her three friends at the end of the line for some new club in town. It's supposed to be really good or so I've heard. I don't really care, as long as I could drink and find somebody to dance with. I just don't want to be alone tonight.

When we finally make it inside it's about 11 and there are a lot of people on the dance floor. I go to the bar for my first shot since we arrived. The buzz from the first three had faded in the uber and I need something now to spark my dancing abilities. The girls follow me, toasting to GNO and slamming all of our drinks back in impeccable timing.

"Lets dance." I said, dragging them out to the dance floor, our bodies moving in sync with Lauren Jauregui's new single. I was having a good time with the girls until I spotted a cute dark hair guy striding my way. I danced over to him and he met me in the middle. His hands rested on my hips and honey brown eyes landed on mine. "I'm Jake." He said.
"Grayson." I state. I notice the tattoos covering his arms. I'm not the biggest fan of tattoos, but they look hot on him. It seems as if he takes notice and smirkes before saying, "Wanna dance?" He spins me around, and my back is flat against his chest as we sway and grind to the music. I feel carefree. I feel like I could get lost dancing against this stranger forever. I turn around, too caught up in the music to care about anything else. Our bodies were in sync. I didn't have a thought in my head, just the beat and for once I feel like I'm powerful and in control. Jake dips me back and I roll my torso around, making a circle until I'm close to his face. His lips go to my neck, feathering kisses there, my hands in his hair, still moving to the music. It feels good. I'm usually the one playing things safe or getting too caught up in my feelings that I don't let myself have a good time. I'm not usually the type to find some random guy to dance or go home with but I can understand the appeal. The absolute control I felt proved itself to me when I peel myself off of him to go get another drink, and he follows me.