one

one

proceeding the blackness of the night, the sun rises, spreading rays of gold across the blooming canvas of reds, pinks, and oranges waiting its arrival as they light up in unison, brightening with a gleaming wave of yellow. copper and bronze hues fall across the emptiness, bringing another flash of striking beams as the star casts rosy glow across the city, and with it, a gentle reminder of the cool wind moves through his fingers.

it drifts across the blankness ahead with the accompaniment of wispy clouds, igniting the dull colors of skyscrapers with pigments of heated color. finally, sunlight fills the sky, a pure, converging illumination, its glaring glimmer seeping through each individual crevice to grant the world with its light. it's vast, second rays of orange kissing against the horizon and the tune of sparrows singing fill the morning air.

jeongguk watches.

he watches, and he presses his hands against the concrete, nimble and broken fingers brushing against the dust lingering on the edge. the teen listens, for anything, for the soft whoosh of the wind or the song of the birds, and his feet dangle off the brim of the tall building, but he pays no mind to the inevitable fall down. he tilts his head up to look at the image, reaching up with one hand to supposedly reach up to the shades and he closes his eyes, breathing in the fresh scent of morning.

and he wishes upon the fading moon behind him, or to the gleaming sun ahead of him. it's a silent request and he doesn't mind, instead getting up to his feet on the ledge, standing. the block of stone is only a few feet wide but gives him the view he needs to fully see the bustling people under his gaze.

he smiles at the adults unaware of his presence above them and doesn't give another thought about the risky movement he had performed, instead stepping back from the four feet tall barrier and jumping to the flat roof of the apartment complex. jeongguk shoves his hands in his pockets, his attire of tattered black jeans and a worn blazer belonging to one of his rare friends.

he walks back towards the exit from the roof, tossing one glance behind his shoulder at the rising picture and embeds it into his head, tucking it away for further thought. he then swivels around fully, taking out an old polaroid and checks for the film, pulling it up to his eye as he takes a photo. the thin image slides out of the slot and he gently pulls it out, slipping it into his pocket.

he turns again, reaching for the cool, rusted metal handle of the exit and pushes it down, tugging it towards him and ignoring the low creak that came with opening it. he steps forwards, gliding into the aperture and shuts it closed, fingers trailing along the railing as he starts his descend down the dark staircase.

jeongguk ducks his head, feet pattering against the carpet of the hallway and he swerves through familiar corridors and pathways, stopping in front of a pair of tall, metal doors. he pulls his phone from his pocket as the familiar sensation of the ringing registers in his hazy mind, pressing the cool metal his ear and pushing a finger against the button on the wall. it blinks orange and he is greeted with a voicemail, staticky and quiet.

almost instantly he knows who it is and shuffles inside the empty elevator, silently straining his ears to hear the boy that practically never calls him. "hi, kookie." hoseok mutters, and jeongguk prods at the number pad, settling with he lobby floor. he's nervous and his hands are shaking as he slips one into his pocket, continuing to listen. "can you come home, please?" his voice breaks and tears threaten to spring to the younger's eyes, entirely involuntary and he blinks the burning feeling away.

"i'm just standing in front of the sink and i.. i don't even remember when.." the doors part and jeongguk steps out, walking with light footsteps towards the exit of the hotel. he doesn't bother to wave a hand towards the often awaiting man behind the counter, instead pushing open the door with his shoulder and roaming outside. he greets the gentle flow of wind at he stops, lifting his head as wisps of his hair whisk across his forehead.