Promise

“Have you thought about it?” I ask Kelsey at lunch. She looks up from her meatloaf, with a confused look on her face. I sit down, Jaeden following my lead.

“Have you thought about going to boston?” I clarify. She shrugs.

“I’m from boston, we left for a reason. I’m sure it will bring back bad memories...” She drifts off. I nod sympathetically.

“I forgot to ask, what did Mr.Stark say when you showed him about the trip?” Jaeden asks.

“He said he’ll think about it. Which isn't a no.”

“But it isn't a yes.”

“Stop being negative.’

“If you don't go, I don't go.” He says, crossing his arms. I giggle, looking around the cafeteria at the familiar faces. I notice someone staring at me. I look towards him, frowning. He smiles and winks, making me look away, blushing. I noticed Jaeden is ranting about something to poor Kelsey.

“Jae, who's that boy?” I say, pointing to the boy, who is now talking to his friends.

“Boy!?” Jaeden asks, stopping in mid-rant, to look at him.

“OHHHHHHH. That's Niall. He’s a cutie.” Jaeden says, making googily eyes at him like a teenage girl.

“Ew, Stop checking out my man.” Laurie comes up and sit at our table. I roll my eyes and Jaeden sits up and looks away.

“Just shut up and leave.” I say.

“I can’t when a disgusting person is staring at my man. You're a guy, you're supposed to like girls, not guys. If you like guys that's nasty. You should die, and when you do, you're going to hell.” She says, before standing up and walking away. I look to Jaeden who is standing up, walking towards the door. I stand up quickly and run after him.

“Go to hell!!!” I yell at Laurie, with tears in my eyes. I chase Jaeden down the hall, and into the boys bathroom. He gets in a stall and locks it before I can follow.

“Jaeden!! Please open the door!!” I yell, pounding on the stall. I hear him sobbing on the other side.

“No!!”

“Okay fine. I hate it when people make fun of Lgbt people, especially if it's my best friend. She’s going to hell. Not you. Promise me you won't die before me.” I say. He opens the door slowly.

“But, you have powers, what if they keep you alive?” He asks.

“Then I’ll die to be with you in heaven.” I say, pulling him into a hug. I feel him smile.

“Do you promise you won't ever leave?” I ask. He nods.

“I promise.”