Track Twenty: I Can't Do This.

|Track Twenty: I Can’t Do This.|

Ashton.

Ashton clicked his pen furiously as he sat on the couch in his old home fixedly thinking of lyrics to write for a song. They were on the tip of his tongue, but he couldn’t quite get them to come out, and when they did they didn’t make any sense on paper.

He sighed and leaned his head back on the couch only for it to land on something highly uncomfortable. He winced in pain and lifted his head retrieving the uncomfortable object from behind his head. He leaned his head back once more and held up the foreign object to his face. He glared at the half crumpled half flat piece of paper, the source of his discomfort.

He let out a grunt of frustration and annoyance and threw the piece of paper across the room. It smacked into the wall with a dull thump and cascaded to the floor joining the many other pieces of discarded parchment. He had to have written, scribbled and scratched; and rewritten the lyrics at least fifty times already.

He cleared his throat and poised his ballpoint pen above his notebook, readying himself to write another set of disastrous lyrics. He was getting frustrated with himself. The lyrics he wanted to write weren’t the same as what the record label would accept. He had to choose his words very carefully and critically.

The doorbell rang and Ashton couldn’t help but let out a sigh of relief. He was happy to get a break from his lyrical task. He tossed the notebook onto the coffee table with his pen as he got up. The notebook made a deafening slap against the marble in the quiet empty house. Ashton ignored it and made his way to the door, ruffling his hair around with his free hand.

He glanced through the peephole to see who was on the other side of the door. He figured that it could have been one of his bandmates, but he wanted to make sure. When he looked through the peephole he was surprised to find their manager, Vic, standing outside with his hands shoved deeply into the pockets of his coat.

Ashton unlocked his door and yanked it open with a bewildered expression taking over his features. “Vic, what are you doing here?”

Vic’s eyes narrowed at Ashton as he briskly walked into Ashton’s home without an invitation. His shoulder bumped into Ashton’s on the way in as he entered the living room. Ashton stood at his front door with a dumbstruck expression before he came to his senses and followed Vic into the living room. When Ashton got there, Vic was already pacing back and forth in front of the fireplace.

“Sit.” He ordered Ashton, continuing his incessant pacing.

Ashton was too baffled for words so he took a seat on the couch once again and patiently waited for Vic to explain his sudden appearance and abrasive behavior. Vic stopped his pacing abruptly and turned to face Ashton with a sharp look.

“You can’t do this Ash,” He started. Ashton’s brows knitted in confusion. He was frustrated that Vic said it like he knew what he was talking about. He didn’t. He had no idea what he wasn’t supposed to do. “I can’t allow it either.”

What are you talking about?”

“This…duet thing. It sounded like a good idea at first, but now that you’re doing it with her, it complicates things. This cannot happen.” Vic continued, only confusing Ashton more.

“I repeat: What are you talking about? What about the duet? And why is it a problem if I do it with Adalyn?”

Vic sighed and ran a hand through his short hair. “Look kid, I don’t care who you do the duet with as long as it’s not her. I mean her voice is amazing and everything, but come on, what do you think is going to happen after she records the duet with you?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Ashton asked, getting angry as he rose from his place on the couch.

“I mean that she’s going to get a taste of fame and dump you just like you dumped her. Don’t you get it? This would be a perfect opportunity for her to get revenge on you. It would mess you up if she left and you know it. It would distract you from doing what you’re supposed to do.”

“Really? What the hell am I expected to do? Because whatever it is, it seems that you and the label are never happy with it. You take what me and the guys write and change everything.” Ashton argued back. “And Adalyn wouldn’t do that to me. She’s too good for that.”

Vic rubbed a hand over his face in frustration. “You don’t know that. You’ve been gone for three years! People change Ash. And don’t you dare try to turn this on me because you’re going to lose.”

Ashton’s eyes narrowed, his hands clenching into fists. “Shut up, you don’t know Adalyn like I do.”

Vic rolled his eyes. “What you don’t think that she’s just using you to get her to fame or so she can say that she screwed over one of the world’s biggest stars? Give me a break Ashton; I’ve seen this story play out a hundred times already. I’m not letting you ruin your career over a stupid girl when there are millions out there worshiping the ground you walk on.”

“You’re wrong. She wouldn’t do that to me.”

Vic let out a humorless laugh. “There’s a reason I took her out of the picture when you first went on tour. She would have gotten in the way of your career. Now you see her again and it’s like all hell breaks loose. I should have never let you guys stop here for au—”

You were the one that did that?” Ashton took a step forward while Vic took a reflexive step back. “You were the one that made sure Adalyn and I couldn’t talk to each other? Did you do this to the others too?” Vic said nothing. “What the fuck? You made my life hell. How dare you, we trusted you. Do you know how…depressed we all got after that? We thought that they didn’t care anymore! Why would you do that?”

Vic licked his lips nervously. “I did it for your own good. They would have distracted you from your career so I made sure that contact became nonexistent after the first couple of months. I gave you guys a break and let you talk to them but I made sure to keep you busy so you wouldn’t have to very often. I was just doing—“

Ashton pointed to the door. “Get the fuck out. I can’t do this with you. I’m not going to listen to your bullshit, and I’m certainly not going to listen to you about the duet. Just get out of my sight before I do something stupid.”

Vic opened his mouth to say something, but closed it with a glare set on his face. His jaw clenched in anger as she stomped out of Ashton’s house, slamming the door behind him.

Ashton sat on the couch again and took in a relaxing deep breath. He rubbed his face in frustration before settling his hand over his mouth. His breaths came out in slow calming measures as he tried to control his boiling temper. He knew what he had to do.

He had to fire Vic.

_____________________________________

dun..dun...DUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNN!!!!!!

And remember:

READ

COMMENT

AND VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!

Stay Awesome,

Victoria 

Lyrics to Love© Victoria Migliaccio (ViciousxxVictoria), 2012