Chapter One: Alyssa

Wow, I think I write too much? If you enjoy long-ass chapters, then here you go. 

Chapter written by @LightBlonde_Latte

____________________

"Knock knock!"

A sigh. "Fuck off."

"No no no no." Alyssa Sanchez- or Lys, if you will- shook her head rapidly, disappointed one would blow her joke off. Granted, it wasn't the first time that had happened, but she was still insistent on getting it across. After all, knock knock jokes are very valuable. "It's 'who's there?' And then I go, 'Idaho.'" She nudged the woman next to her with her elbow, silently asking for her to continue it. After the indication went unnoticed, (or maybe ignored), Lys raised her hands. "And you say, 'Idaho who?'"

Taylor, her 'I'm-done-with-your-shit' doctor shot her a look of irritation. "I know how the joke goes, Lys."

"Well, in that case, knock knock motherfucker."

"Whoever's there, fuck off."

"Idaho."

"Idaho, who?"

Alyssa was thankful Taylor at least had the decency to humor her. Better make the most out of this. She paused for effect, head tilting and lips twitching upwards in a slight smirk.

"I da hoe!" she exclaimed cheerfully.

Taylor groaned, hanging her head in defeat. "Lys, you're in the middle of a fucking medical exam, for once in your life please take this seriously."

Lys raised an eyebrow, as if to ask how in the name of Messier 81 Taylor expected her to take this serious.

Alyssa was... an interesting person, to say the least. There was never a time where Lys didn't make a joke, much less take something seriously. Her personality was one you might call bubbly, flirtatious, joking, excitable, or loud. Some would even say all of the above.

In her book, everything seems brighter when there's someone around to toss a joke, or just laugh. Even staring into the face of death, she deemed it suitable to crack a smile. After all, one never knows what happy moment could be their last. You really do only live once, and if you want to spend that life moving around and downplaying everything, then so be it. But Lys was not that person.

So, yeah, in her opinion, you better make the most of what's given to you.

It paid off, too, especially when someone was needed to lighten the situation. Hell, take when her brother Eli was hospitalized with cancer. She made it tolerable- fun, even. (He was better now, thank god. The incident was years ago.)

And although she may seem insufferable at times, she was at least trying. And in her book that was okay.

Another thing to know about Alyssa Sanchez- she piled her emotions in a bucket, and then threw them out and around for everyone to see. "Hormone-driven," her brother Marco had called it. She liked to think of it more as an open book.

Because fuck it, if she was feeling anything at all... then screw the universe- Lys would dramatize that emotion tenfold. Unless, of course, the emotion was anything negative or painful. Those were buried deep down for no one to ever see. After all, it was her responsibility to keep people happy.

Probably an unhealthy mindset, but fuck it.

Lys Sanchez was most definitely one of a kind. Most people had yet to figure out if that was a good thing or a bad one.