Prologue

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
'Tonight was the night' I thought to myself as I quickly, without even looking, stuffed a few things in a bag.

Tonight was the night that my mother and I would run away together.

Tonight was the night that we'd run away from my sinister stepfather.

For years we've been in this house, unable to leave due to that man I hate to call my father.

He wasn't like this the first time he came into our lives. He was the biggest gentleman, always treating us with love and respect and he always had a smile on his face, no matter the circumstances.

But over the years, he slowly began to indulge in alcohol, due to his small business falling into bankruptcy and soon enough, he was no longer the man my mother fell in love with.

He became cold, abusive and that smile that brought comfort transformed into a forever unnerving one.

I shook my head to clear my head of that bastard and focused on the task at hand: waking up my mom and bringing her with me.

I slowly snuck out my room and looked down the stairs. Laying on the couch and snoring loudly was my stepdad. He probably got drunk at some bar and passed out before he got to his room.

That made getting to my mom ten time easier.

I turned the handle to my moms bedroom and slowly pushed the door, trying my best to stop the door from creaking.

Once the door was open, I quickly scurried to her side and shook her awake. Once her eyes focused on me, her eyes widened in shock.

"Honey, what are you doing up? You need to get back to your room before he gets up," she said fearfully, looking towards the door every 2 seconds.

"There's nothing to worry about mom. He's passed out on the couch and tonight is not a night to sleep....tonight we're gonna run away," I said, smiling at the thought of us away from this hell hole.

She stared into my eyes and hers immediately dropped in sadness. She reached out and gently began to caress my face.

" Honey...I can't come with you. I've made my bed and now I must lay in it. But you....you can go. You can run away and start a new life for yourself. A new life away from here."

I looked at her in shock. What the hell was she talking about?

" There's no possible way that you expect me to leave you here with that...that monster. And what do you mean you've made your bed? You haven't done anything mom....he's done all this to himself," I said, holding on to her cold and fragile fingers.

She shook her head and a sad smile erupted on her face. " Sweetheart...I saw this coming...not to this extent but I saw the path he was going down and I did nothing to stop him....I just sat back and did nothing to help him. I'm to blame for all this...I'm so sorry baby," she whispered, taking her hands out of my hold and placing her head in them.

" Your not responsible for his actions mom. He chose to be like this and I truly don't believe anything would've stopped him."