Chapter 6

When I told my mom that I had been asked to join Blue Panda, she freaked.

 It wasn’t the good kind of freaked out. She practically threw me out the house. She slammed her bedroom door when I tried to explain to her the whole reason I skipped out on the dinner the Grey’s had prepared for us. She grounded me for two months when she realized what I had done. Now, she wasn’t even letting me join the band that I had accomplished in joining.

 “You have a great life here,” she argued. Her blonde hair fell loosely from her hair-tie into her wild, hazel eyes. “You just got back together with Maddox.” I rolled my eyes.

 “Yes, but this is my dream,” I emphasized. “This is what you and I have been hoping for for a long time.” This time, my mother rolled her eyes. She pushed back her bangs as she made her way to the kitchen. She slammed the refrigerator door after grabbing a wine cooler. Sipping the bottle, she turned to face me, her face strained.

 “Maddox was our dream,” she said flatly. I felt the anger building inside of me. I slammed my fist on the counter. I looked down at it, not wanting to face the disgrace I had to call mother.

 “No, mom. Maddox was your dream for me,” I said. I heard her bottle hit the counter and her presence fly past me. I looked up to find her storming up to my room. I quickly followed behind her, not knowing what she was going to do. I found her in my room, a bag planted on my bed, clothes flying every which way. “What are you doing?”

 “You want to throw your, our, dream out the window once again, well, then? You can go find somewhere else to live,” she growled. She grabbed my phone charger and chunked it in the bag. I stood in my doorway in disbelief. I watched as the figure before me flew around the room, grabbing everything she could muster before shoving it in my dance bag from a couple years before.

 “Why does it matter if I’m leaving Maddox behind? What is the problem?” I demanded. I raced over to my bed, yanking the bag from my mother’s hand. That’s when I noticed the tears in her eyes. She looked away, not facing me.

 “I just want you to have what I never did,” she said. Her reason made me laugh.

 “Well, guess what? I did…do have what you got. But the funny thing is, you can’t seem to believe me. You don’t want to believe me. Can’t you see he is the second most reason I want to join the band? He ruined me,” I yelled.

 “You let him ruin you,” my mother snapped. She yanked the bag from my hand and made her way out my bedroom door. She threw the bag down the stairs, her arms crossed in front of her chest. “And now you can live in those ruins.”

 “I can’t believe you,” I whispered. I made my way out of my bedroom. I stopped short of walking down the stairs. I looked back at her, her face torn between disappointment and anger. “You know what, mom? If you think he’s so great, why don’t you just date him. Hell, you practically are anyway.” And with that, I left. I didn’t look back as I grabbed my bag and ran out the door. I felt a pain in my chest as I made my way down the driveway. A lump was forming in my throat. I couldn’t figure out why I was so upset about this. I had seen this coming for quite sometime. I wasn’t the daughter she wanted, nor was I ever going to be. And the funny thing is, she didn’t even try to understand me. She just saw what she wanted to see and nothing else.