Chapter 9

"Stay with me

Baby stay with me

Tonight

Don't leave me alone

Walk with me

Come and walk with me

To the edge of all we've ever known..."

I watched as Chase played his guitar so effortlessly. The light crew had turned down the lights of the stadium to form a heavenly glow, Chase in the spotlight. I smiled slightly. It was absolutely beautiful.

"Well I'm not sure what this is gonna be

But with my eyes all I see is

The skyline through the window

The moon above you and the streets below

Hold my breath as you're moving in

Taste your lips and feel your skin

When the time comes baby don't run

Just kiss me slowly..."

"That's it. Now I need Riley's mic," the sound technician said. I was jerked back to reality after being mesmerized. I immediately felt the nerves set in as I realized that tonight I was actually going to be performing in front of a crowd. Like I had said before, I never had performed in front of a crowd.

The band moved their instruments out if the way and Lucas grabbed my guitar. He handed it to me, giving me a shy smile before stepping back. I took a deep breath and placed my guitar strap around my neck.

"You nervous?" Chase smiled. I glanced behind me as he got into his position.

"Yes," I admitted.

"Don't be," he said placing his hand on my shoulder. He gave me a slight squeeze as Adam tapped his drum sticks. As the band launched into the song I had sung at the audition, it occurred to me that I had never once practiced with them altogether. I was confused as to how they knew all the chords and stops, but I assumed Chase had said something to the band and they had practiced the song at some point.

The sound technician gave us a thumbs up as we finished the chorus. She whispered something to the assistant who immediately shot out of the stadium.

"Okay, now I need a song with both Chase and Riley," she said. My eyes widened. Chase and I hadn't really practiced a duet. I figured we would practice before the actual tour started. I mean, that's what I took from it.

"Brooke, we haven't really practiced a duet," Chase explained. She glanced up and rolled her eyes. I looked at her, panicked.

"Is there a cover that you guys know how to play and that you could sing?" She asked. "That is supposed to be the ending song." Chase looked over at me for some ideas. I shrugged, placing my guitar on its holder. I glanced behind me and Ian and Lucas were already coming up with ideas. Adam nodded.

"Hey, Chase. Lucas has an idea," Adam said. We all turned to look at him. He fixed the mini speaker that fits in his ear. "There's that song that we mess around with." Chase nodded and glanced over at me. I raised my eyebrows in confusion.

"Do I know it?" I asked.

* * * * *

"Riley, where the hell are you?" My mom screamed through the phone. I pulled the phone from my ear, hoping to save myself from the headache. I hadn't talked to my mom since that night. When I saw her name pop up on the screen in the middle of rehearsals, I knew not to answer but I did. Now I wish I had listened to my instincts.