5. "Fox"

Little note before the chapter begins, thank you for reading it, and having the patience to wait for updates.  I've been really, really busy and had a little writer's block on how I wanted to end the prologue chapters.  Yes, the first five chapters are part of the prologue.  Starting next chapter should be the official start.

-------------------------------------------------------

Night fell upon Gotham, and with it Stiles learned that the cops that had chased the two were able to get a sketch of his face and there were now cops keeping an eye out on the motel where he had been staying. Even after the bribe, and their attempt to escape, Stiles still had to worry about being arrested. He had no choice but to stay at the pier that night with his only possessions on him: his phone, Stilinski's watch, and the clothes on his back.

Cat had stayed with him for a while, at least he believed she did anyway as he fell asleep, using his jacket for a blanket. Dark twisted dreams awaited him, nightmares filled with his friends' pain and suffering at his hands. The blade he twisted in Scott's body to feed on his pain, Lydia's scream when Allison died. Every single thing the Nogitsune did that felt like drugs to Stiles flashed through his mind, until it was too much and he awoke with a cold sweat.

It was almost light out, as he could see the light glow coming over the horizon. He looked to the spot where Cat had been before he fell asleep a few hours earlier to find it noticeably empty. He figured she had surely taken off, and he couldn't say he was surprised by it. If the cops showed up he would only slow her down in the long run, that or she just didn't want to be further acquainted with him. He slowly sat up, wiping the sweat from his forehead as he looked out at the waterfront, sighing quietly. He wasn't sure why he had helped her get away from the cops yesterday, but now he couldn't take it back. Laying his head against the post behind him, Stiles took in a deep breath, closing his eyes for a few seconds, before opening them to see a young female's leg dangling in front of his face.

Spinning out of shock, Stiles found Cat sitting there with a smile on her face as she held a coffee in her hand, marked with an admittedly bad drawing of what he presumed to be a fox. She just laughed as she saw Stiles' reaction to the drawing as he took the coffee from her.

"Thanks." Stiles almost whispered, feeling slumber creeping upon him once more. He was tired, but he didn't want to sleep... so the coffee was a life saver.

"You're welcome. There's still a couple cops stalking the motel you were staying at."

"Really? Don't cops have better things to do in this city?"

Cat shrugged, to which Stiles sighed and took a drink of the hot beverage. "By the way... I saw the drawing..."

"I bet you did. I spent like two minutes drawing it."

"Still better than anything I could do in that time." Stiles chuckled, to which Cat smiled, feeling a strange sense of joy from hearing his admiration.

"I'm sure you're not that terrible."

"Oh, you should have seen me in Art class at my school.  I made children's finger art look like the Mona Lisa in comparison."

Cat started laughing.  "What?  No way."

"Yeah, tried drawing a person and ended up with what looked like an obese zebra, and even then it didn't look like a zebra."

She couldn't help but laugh at the idea of what kind of monstrosity Stiles could have drawn up and it made Stiles wake up to hear warm laughter.

They sat there talking for a bit as the sun rose above the city and Stiles was fully awake before Cat finally thought about something, and even though it went against all of her instincts and what she had taught herself over the years, she decided she owed him.