Prologue

"What happened here?"

A pair of obsidian-colored eyes scanned the situation as thick eyebrows furrowed, and a pale forehead wrinkled.

The tall, skinny trees ridiculed everyone's size as they hovered over the scene. The old, yellow, and brown leaves crunched under each footstep. The bitter wind tore right through one's heart and froze their blood. The man's muscles began to ache, making him tug onto his coat even more to seek any bit of warmth. His cheeks prickled, and goosebumps began to form all over his skin. The sky painted a light shade of grey as the timid morning sun hid behind the massive clouds. Even the birds ceased to sing on this heinous day.

"Ah, you're here." Said a short, but buff man. His beige trench coat hugged his body and hid his legs and torso, protecting them from the cold.

The obsidian-eyed man ducked under a bright yellow tape and reluctantly removed his hands from his warm pockets to push the tape up and down again. That dreadful tape never brought any good news. His dark raven hair was tied loosely in a ponytail, and the fringes that framed his sharp face flew behind him.

As he approached the scene, he caught a hitch in his throat and held in his breath. There lay yet another lifeless body of what appeared to be a young woman in her early twenties. The body was covered in dirt and mud, infecting the open wounds on her body. Her face and clothes were stained with dried blood. Her skin was the same color as the sky, and her lips were colored in a light shade of purple.

A petite brunette approached the two men with a pitiful expression on her face. "It seems like the victim was shot three times in the chest, with no signs of struggle. At least, none that are evident at the moment," She spoke quietly as if she didn't want the body to hear her. 

"Anything unusual spotted on the body?" The raven-haired man asked, looking at the woman next to him.

Her thin eyebrows arched momentarily as her lips formed a straight line. She bent down to the body, and with her blue latex gloves on, moved the blue sleeve on the victim's arm. "Just this." She said, revealing a thin red spiral on the victim's forearm. The blood from the deep cuts of the spiral had already dried up, creating random brown splotches on it. His head lowered, and his nostrils flared. His teeth ground on one another, shooting pain all over his jaw. 

And in a low, exasperated voice, he said, "Nighttime Killer."

-------------------------------------------------

AN: Hi! Welcome to "Criminal"! I hope this prologue was interesting enough to make you stay and read the rest of the story! :)

Please leave feedback if you have time, I would really appreciate it! :) 

Anyways, thank you for reading and have a nice day/ night! 

-eilishburn