1. A Mission

Four bodies...

Four new victims...

Four families lost a precious member, four people who never got the chance to live a long, peaceful life. 

Four bodies have been discovered in the last 5 weeks—each one with a thin, red spiral carved into their skin. Looking at the pictures of their dead bodies splattered across the whiteboard on my wall made my stomach churn, and the pain of guilt and pity ached my bones. 

"This is a new record. He's moving quicker by the minute." A gruff, muffled voice snapped. 

I sighed in defeat, my right hand that once supported my cheek drooped down and propped on my left arm. My feet lazily spun around so that I would face the silver laptop that sat on a desk a meter away from me. 

"I just don't understand the sudden change in his pattern, Neji. Usually, this would only happen during the Summer, not now in mid-Autumn," I said, perplexed at the newfound information I had recently received. 

The pale man on the computer screen shrugged, "Me neither, Hinata. Last month we found that last year there were many more deaths during Konoha's Summer vacation, from July to August, and these killings occurred at random, which is why we thought the killer is a student but now... We might need to rethink our target," He urged. 

My lips smashed against one another, forming a straight line as my eyebrows met. "I wouldn't. See, the killings still occurred on weekends, except for Tanaka-san, who died on a Wednesday. So Nighttime Killer could still be a student, but we have to be more flexible and cautious with his pattern now," I argued, dragging a wooden chair out from beneath me and sitting down, fully facing the laptop. 

"Very well. In that case, I should probably let you in on what we have planned for you," Neji said, a small smile growing on his face. 

I blinked in confusion, my lips now slightly apart. "Was there a change of plans?" I asked, both of my elbows resting on the wooden table in front of me. 

"More like a... confession?" The brunette man squeaked, shoulders locked up and face twisted into a grimace. Seeing the confusion and anger in my eyes, he quickly continued, "It isn't bad, I promise. I just wanted to surprise you and wait for you to find any contradicting information. But, seeing as we'll be sticking to our previous hypothesis, I think you should know," 

"Spit it out," I sighed, resting my right knee on the chair to let it support my right arm. 

 "Your father thinks it's best if you actually attend Konoha Academy. But before you get all angry and whatever, just think about it- you will be going to high school, which you always wanted, and you will still be continuing your mission. It's a win-win!"

My head shook in confusion, and my leg dropped down. My pale lavender eyes widened- did I hear him correctly? 

My name is Hinata Hyuga. People know me as the daughter of the richest man in Japan. This isn't a complete lie, but it also isn't the complete truth.

My family is deeply intertwined with one of the most influential and powerful government facilities in Japan. Most of my family members work in it, just as I one day will. I've spent my whole childhood living as two different people. One, a shy honor student who always kept things to herself, and an outgoing trainee who is "destined" to follow in my father's footsteps once he retires.

Though I was never officially a member of this facility, I have been training for it my whole life. And, as I quickly approach young adulthood, I have been tasked with a very important mission to prove I'm worthy enough to join: to capture Nighttime Killer here, in the small city of Konoha, Japan. For years, he has been terrorizing the city and killing multiple innocent people. Everyone fears him, and no one is safe as long as he is around. 

But so far, it's been nothing but a failure.

"Is this some kind of joke? That isn't detective work; that's what actors do." I blurted.

"You're mistaken- every detective has to go undercover to solve cases eventually, and in doing so, your skills improve tremendously. Besides, as I said, you'll get to experience a somewhat normal teen life," Neji reassured me with a polite smile on his face, with his cheeks squishing his eyes and moving the long loose strands of hair that fell on his face. 

Neji is a Deputy Chief in our department and, most importantly, my cousin. When we were three years old, his father died, making him hostile towards everyone. He usually picked on me because of my father, and he would make me doubt my skills. However, when we turned twelve, he apologized, and we got closer. Now I can't think of a better friend than Neji. 

I eyed him, "You sure? And father thinks this is the best thing for me to do?" I asked, still in doubt. 

"Absolutely. And I'm sure you will do an outstanding job, Hinata. This could be what you need to finally join," He sang, and I smirked at him, finally giving in. 

I leaned back in my chair and chuckled, "Fine. Tell father to send them an application form,"

"He already did- you start in two weeks. And he bought your uniform as well for both Winter and Summer. You should receive it in a week or so,"

I rolled my eyes, "Of course he did. Well, anyways, Neji, I'm sure you have more important work to do, so I'll hang up. Thank you," I said, shining a grin and waving goodbye at him. 

"I guess you're right. Goodbye, Hinata," He chuckled, and in a matter of seconds, his face was replaced with a reflection of my face and my desktop screen. 

I gently closed my computer and sighed, staring at the yellow wall of my apartment. It had three white shelves bolted into it, full of books, plants, and pictures of my family and friends. The afternoon sun crept into the room and gave the objects in it a soft ethereal glow, highlighting the pile of work and files on the table. My eyes narrowed on the files, and my lips pinched together. My fists balled up, and my nostrils rose and opened.

I will get Nighttime Killer one day- I know I can. 

And they will wish they've never existed by the time I'm done with them.