Angel Among Heathens

"So, the hunting party did not return today." Hvitserk seemed nervous as he looked at his younger brother. "....I said the hunting party-"

  "I heard what you said."

  "We are almost out of food. The only hunter returning with meat is a wolf, and he can't bring nearly enough food to feed us all. And there is sickness in the town. What are we going to do? We have to do something." Hvitserk continued and dropped a rabbit bone bare of meat back onto his plate. "The Saxons are in their own country. They can be reinforced and grow stronger while every day we just grow weaker-"

  "What are you really saying, huh, brother? That I was wrong not to negotiate with the Saxons, and that Ubbe was right?"

  "No."

  "No? Are you sure?"

  "Ubbe was wrong. That's why I didn't sail with him."

  "But now you regret it?"

  "I just told you no. Ubbe treated me like his little, faithful dog. I am no one's dog, Ivar." Hvitserk stated, and his brother nodded, holding his cup near his mouth.

  "Woof, woof." Ivar began to snicker, and other men laughed until I gave Ivar a look.

  "Stop it." My voice was flat, and I took a drink while keeping eye contact with the younger Ragnar son. His face fell, and my gaze turned to the others. "All of you." And their laughter died. "This is a serious matter and should be treated as such. Ivar, don't make me regret taking your side against your brothers. You are equals."

  "We are not equals."

  "You are." I calmly set down my cup. "You are his equal as he is yours. Just because you lead an army does not mean you can treat him any less. I will not be made a fool if you become blinded by power....because then Ubbe gets to punch me." I mumbled the last part, and Ivar's upset expression changed to confusion.

  "What?"

  "Hel," Hvitserk cleared his throat. "Hel punched Ubbe while defending you to us." He scratched his head while dropping his gaze, and I watched as Ivar's brows rose on his forehead.

  "You punched Ubbe?"

  "Yes, so stop being a prick so that my reasons for doing so remain justified."

  "I am not being a-"

  "You are, Ivar. Now, as your friend, I suggest you think about how to deal with these issues concerning your sick and hungry army rather than belittling your older brother." There was silence in the hall, and I continued to eat while Garmr slept at my feet.

~

  "I don't understand." Hvitserk said while looking around.

  "What is it that you do not understand, Hvitserk?"

  "I don't understand why you pretend to burn the bodies of our dead." He stated as we were walking past people tossing things into fires.

  "It's all part of my plan." Ivar sniffed.

  "Ah. What plan?" The older male asked, and Ivar turned on his heel.

  "Did you really think that I didn't have a plan, huh? Of course I have a plan. I'm a cripple, not an idiot." He turned back around and went back to walking with Garmr at his side. "I've found something out, Hvitserk. The Romans were....very clever. My plan is based upon what I have found out."

  "What is it? I need to know."

  "And you will know, my brother. In good time."

  "Ivar, I don't find that statement very comforting. I don't like doing things blindly."