"Thus spake my mother"

I raised my head as the Vikings around me began to sing while looking into the thick forest in the direction the other army was in. King Harald seemed to be the one leading them in song, and the birds overhead went quiet.

  "~Fley ok fagrar árar, Fara á brott með víkingum, Fara á brott með víkingum, Stýra dýrum knerri, standa upp í stafni, Stýra dýrum knerri, Halda svá til hafnar~" The forest was rather quiet, carrying their voices far and wide in the early morning air. "~Stýra dýrum knerri, Halda svá til hafnar, Höggva mann ok annan, Höggva mann ok annan.?~" The singing along with the sounds of sharpening blades only added to the atmosphere. Despite the previous battle, this one would undoubtedly hold more significance.

  Breathing in the crisp air, I looked to the sky through the lush branches on the trees. The gods would either be for us or against us, but I had the strong feeling today would end in our victory. I don't know how, but I felt as if I just knew we wouldn't lose, and I prayed I wasn't wrong.

  "Tyr," I spoke softly while painting Garmr's fur. "I hope you are with us. You are for justice, and this war is to bring such." Garmr was patient, standing right in front of me as I sat on a stump on the edges of camp as his smokey fur was marked. I usually didn't have to do this, but with the foreign warriors in our aid, I didn't want any confusion to arise on the battlefield.

  "This land belongs to the sons of Ragnar, not to a woman that murdered her way to the throne in their absence. This wrong must be righted. Odin...." My hands paused in Garmr's fur. "Odin, if I am to die today....I pray I am worthy to enter your hall." Chuckling, I dropped my hands into my lap. "I would very much like to fight at my mother's side again."

  "Are you talking to that wolf again?"

  "No, Ivar, I'm talking to the gods." I stated as the taller male limped to a rock to sit down.

  "You said we would win, did you not?"

  "I did."

  "Then, clearly, we have the gods' favor. You are marked by the gods, Hel."

  "Just because I may be marked by the gods does not mean I can't die."

  "Sometimes I wonder. You've yet to lose."

  "I'm serious, Ivar." I looked up at him and watched his smile fall. "Victory does not ensure survival, it only means our side doesn't lose."

  "Do you feel like you will die today?"

  "....I don't. But who knows when my time may come."

  "Stop it."

  "Stop what? The truth?" Furrowing my brows, I waved my hand. "The plan of the gods is not always clear, Ivar. So that is why I ask that if I do die today, I die a warrior's death so that I may see my mother. I want to tell her myself the tales of my triumphs and adventures."

  "You won't die, Hel. Not today. Not anytime soon." Ivar said with such certainty in his voice. "The longer you live, the more you have to tell your mother."

  "This is true." I nodded. "But it isn't my decision."

  "Then let's say I know you won't die today just like you know we will win."

  "Oh? Did the gods tell you?"

  "Hel. Have faith." Ivar raised his head while smiling and gestured by waving his hand. "The gods blessed you for a reason, I doubt you are just going to die now after everything. As we, the sons of Ragnar, go down in history as our father before us, so shall you. You've yet to make the legacy the gods intend you to have."