Chapter 1 💗💗💗 Valentine's Day

"Happy Valentine's Day Kaari! Another year of being single," I mumble out half-heartedly, staring into Kaari's face taking up almost the whole of my screen. We were Skyping owing to the fact that my parents had bought me a cheap android years ago that they still refuse to replace. 

I ramble on as if she does not have the choice of being single, however, my best friend, Kaari, has all the choice in the world. You see, unlike me, she is gorgeous with long curly black hair, skin as pale as snow, and hazel eyes that can melt even the world's frostiest heart. She is the epitome of beauty and kindness. 

I, on the other hand, have wavy black hair that refuses to cooperate no matter what I do, bland facial features, and plain brown eyes that have not even once melted anyone's heart. I am most definitely not the epitome of beauty.

Kaari has been asked out a dozen times already, boys practically begging to be her valentine. She has rejected every single one of them, claiming she's waiting for the right one.

The right one, huh?

Ice blue eyes flash through my mind. I mentally shake my head, hard.

"So, what are you doing tonight? There's a new rom-com movie coming out today that I really want to watch!" she says excitedly, "You wanna go to the movies today and watch it?"

"Ugh I'm sorry, but I can't. I have work today. The bakery is gonna be filled with couples being all lovey-dovey," I say, annoyed. 

I mentally sigh. Valentine's Day the past four years has been extremely uneventful. There has been absolutely nothing to look forward to, especially since my entire high school is made up of less than mediocre guys. Plus, that coupled with my new job this year, my expectations for Valentine's Day just hit rock bottom, but I can still feel a part of me simmering with excitement that just, maybe, maybe this year will be the year, regardless of the fact that I don't even have a boyfriend. 

"Work huh? That sucks." Kaari scrunches her eyebrows together, "Hey, doesn't your shift star-"

"Crap!" I interrupt loudly.

I peek at the digital clock on my bedside table. 9:12. It takes ten minutes to get there on a good day. I glance outside my window. The backyard is covered with beautiful white powder making everything stark white, the world almost too bright to see. Icicles hang on the roof of my neighbor's house. All in all, it looked like a scene pulled straight from a movie set. 

Double crap. 

I force myself into some sweats and slap on a t-shirt. Not my best outfit, but I had no choice. After grabbing my essentials I run out of the house in record speed after giving a quick kiss and saying bye to my parents. 

My boss is gonna kill me.

💗💗💗

And kill me she did.

"You're late, Blythe," her voice is low and dangerous.

The office we're standing is nice and quaint with a wooden table separating us. A few stuffed animals are strewn haphazardly on the chairs next to me as if they can feel the tension radiating off of the two us. I decide to follow my boss', Luna's, example and stay standing. Luna's hands are pressed down firmly against the table. The comfy space startingly contrasts with her expression. 

"Yeah, I lost track of time...," I say sheepishly. The excuse sounds lame to even my ears.

Her entrancing blue eyes trap me in place, forcing me to look down. If there ever was a beauty contest I am sure Kaari and Luna would be in a tie for first place. Luna's deep chocolate skin paired with her striking eyes make her almost breathtaking to look at. A lock of long curly hair falls into her face, she blows it off before she continues speaking. 

"Do you want me to fire you? You're late every. Single. Day! And why are you wearing such unprofessional attire?" she practically screams out. 

Despite the rage on her face, warning every fiber in my being to bolt, I stay put. I know that in just a few seconds or so she is going to be back to normal, since that's just how she is, all over the place.

Luna sighs, "Gosh Blythe, you are so lucky we're friends or else you would have long been fired." 

Annnd she's back to normal.

Luna is twenty-one and thanks to our four year age gap combined with her amusing personality we bonded unnaturally fast, Luna treating me as a younger sister.   

"You know you can't stay mad at me Luna," I say teasingly. 

I open my mouth to talk about her Valentine's Day plans with her husband when a noise reverberates through the room. 

BAM!

The door slams open scaring me shitless. No one is allowed in Luna's office except the employes in trouble, and well, me.

"Luna, who do you think you are!?" the intruder roars.

That voice... No way!

I whip my head around, pivoting so fast I almost trip. My heart goes in overdrive, hoping for the impossible that just maybe... 

I stare into a pair of dazzling ice blue eyes. They are like chips of ice, the myriad of cool tone blues take my breath away, hypnotizing. 

"Asher?" I choke out.

It's been four years since I've last seen him and for three and a half years I've loved him, but if the erratic beating of my heart paired with my glowing cheeks is any indication whatsoever, that means I am wrong, terribly wrong. Seven and a half years. I've been in love with that jerk for seven and a half years.

In a flash, he grabs my clammy hand sending warmth through my being, the sound of my heartbeat triples in speed. I somehow still have a piece of mind to berate myself on my poor outfit choice before my mind stops working altogether. 

"I refuse to follow along with your stupid shenanigans because," he fixes me with such a smoldering stare that even I can't help believing what he says next, "Blythe is my girlfriend."