Chapter 2: Do you wanna start a cult with me?

Victoria came in as Oliver was putting on his suit's jacket.

« You look perfect. »
she said as she readjusted it.

« Thanks. »
He muttered.

A nervous look was to be seen across his face, and the man couldn't help but stare at his reflection in the big mirror in front of him.
Would he be enough? Was he good enough?
So many questions and worries were exhausting his mind.

« Don't worry, his assistant said.
Remember; you are the leader the people have been waiting for. And does a leader fear the crowd? »

« No. A leader controls it. »
Oliver was talking in a perfect, confident voice. A strange contrast with the anxiety visible in his eyes.

« Fine. So now, I want you to wipe off all of these worries, go there, and give us your best speech. You've been prepared for it. Remind me what I always say? »

« If you don't doubt about yourself,
no one will. »

« Exactly. I see you listen to me, sometimes. »
She said as she gave him a shy smile.

In any other moment, he would've gladly smiled back. But in this very moment, the to-become cult leader was just like an afraid student before his exams. He was trying to hide it, but he was terrified. How many people would there be, watching him? Would there even be any?

The clock's sound was becoming the only thing he could focus on. In less than two minutes, he would be talking in front of strangers, trying to convince them to dedicate their lives to his cause. All of this had been happening so fast he didn't even think about how crazy it was, until now.

Victoria gave a last check to his outfit.
« You already have the allure of a leader. »,
She said proudly.

Even though the reflection the mirror offered was his, he looked like a completely different man: his dirty, ragged clothes had been replaced by a classy red suit, his lifeless look was now full of determination and pride, and his dark messy hair was now short and pink.
The beggar was becoming the new King.

« Well, I think it's time. Remember, don't let them have any doubt. You're the leader. You got this. »

Oli nodded as he quietly took a deep breath.
Behind the door, there were nameless, judgmental faces waiting for him in a big room full of - probably - taken seats. But it was too late to say no now, right?

After Victoria gave him a last supportive smile, he entered the large room.
He was standing on a stage, a white light directed on him.

While his eyes were getting used to the blinding glow, he could see the first faces appear. At his biggest relief, there wasn't many people. Not more than 20, he thought.

But soon enough, the room was getting full with newcomers. He could feel a knot forming in his stomach from stress, but he stood still and proudly as he started to give his speech as naturally as he had been taught to.

« If you're here, you must have received our invitation to Salvation

Know that you can be free.
But first, we must piss you off.
Welcome to Mantra. »