Chapter 35

Can's POV

"Let's go down for breakfast. We will get more done with a full belly."

Even though Can wasn't keen on bumping into other people, some of whom might have seen the unsavoury ads about him already, they couldn't just bury themselves in their room forever.

He could almost see Tin's thoughts form as he was considering it, before he finally got up and wordlessly walked towards the door.

They had already taken turns to shower and get dressed earlier, when it had felt much more attractive to just stay in here and pretend there was no world outside.

"Are you coming?"

Can straightened his back and quickly followed Tin out of the room.

They didn't even make it to the stairs before they were held up.

McNeil stepped in their way, showing a serious frown on his forehead.

"Where are you going?"

"Breakfast?" Can answered tentatively.

Why did McNeil so often sound like they had done something wrong?

The teacher shook his head.

"Too risky."

Did McNeil already know about the attack on them?

As he asked himself this, Can had to admit that it was a stupid question. McNeil generally seemed to know most of the stuff that was going on at this school, it was stupid of them to assume he didn't know.

McNeil tried to usher them back towards their room, but Can couldn't have that.

"We need to eat, too!"

To his surprise, the teacher wordlessly held up a plastic bag Can hadn't noticed before and nodded towards their room with more authority.

What was going on?

Both boys turned around without further comment.

Tin unlocked the door to their room and McNeil gently but determinedly pushed them inside.

"Are you putting us under house arrest now or something?" Can protested.

"If that's what you want to call it..."

McNeil nodded towards the bed and both boys understood that he wanted them to sit down. He then pulled out one of their desk chairs and sat down.

Finally, he took a thermos out of his plastic bag and poured each of them a cup of tea.

It was always tea before a talk with McNeil, Can noticed.

Can was already about to protest about the lack of food, when McNeil handed him a sandwich – and another one to Tin, who didn't look like he had much of an appetite.

"I know you think you're all grown up... like all 18-year olds, I guess. But you need to learn when it's time to get help. This is too big for you."

"We aren't on our own," Tin said defiantly.

Can knew he was referring to their LGBT+ group, whose members were still working on stopping and cataloguing the attacks on him. Still, he kind of agreed with McNeil here – if they had thought about it, they should have gone to the adults. They knew that it was related to the thing Tin was researching for Mr. Yaxley and the biggest target under attack was the Yaxley family.

McNeil took a deep breath.

"You are not the only one who has analysed the evidence you found, Medthanan. We have been monitoring the situation. So... please tell me what happened, according to you."