A Walk in the Garden

There were many times since discovering she was nothing more than a fictional character in which Lydia questioned the choices of her life. How was it that she had come to be walking arm-in-arm with her best friend in the garden and discussing the emotions of a pirate captain? How was it possible that this was what her life had become?

And how was it that she enjoyed it so much?

At that moment, both Beth and Lydia were wondering who it was that the captain was risking so much to find. Lydia knew the person must be someone who owned his heart, and after seeing the way Beth looked at the captain, she knew she had to at least somewhat prepare Beth for who it could be.

Lydia kicked a stone as she offered an idea. "Have you thought about the possibility of it being some long lost lover of his?"

Beth's steps stuttered at the question and she hung on to Lydia as she pitched forward. Lydia was immediately filled with guilt. Of course that wasn't something Beth wanted to think about, and she grimaced an apologetic smile.

Beth cleared her throat and allowed, "I suppose it could be. But I don't see how that could matter if she's being held captive and tortured."

Lydia loved Beth as if they were sisters, but sometimes she wanted to throttle her. "You truly do not see what this could mean?"

She wouldn't meet Lydia's gaze, trailing her fingers over the beautiful red roses as she shook her head.

Right. Tough love, then. Lydia pulled Beth to a stop, turning to face her. Beth's brows shot up to her hairline, but Lydia ignored her surprise. "Beth," she said sternly, "you may not be Elizabeth Gallagher, but you are as easy to read as she. And I know it will definitely affect you if the person he's doing everything in his power to save is his wife or fiancée or simply someone he fancies!"

Beth started, "Well, I—"

Lydia could practically already hear the excuse before it escaped Beth's lips, so she interrupted. "You called him by his Christian name," she deadpanned.

Her mouth moved with unspoken words. Then she said, "Okay, yes, but I also call James by his."

Lydia grinned. "But James isn't a bloodthirsty pirate, is he?"

Beth's cheeks turned red and she immediately retorted, "Well neither is Caspian."

At that, Lydia couldn't help but laugh. "He's a pirate, Beth." And a captain at that. And Captain Rodgers at that. "Bloodthirsty is part of his occupation."

"No—"

Again, Lydia cut her off. "And the very fact that you are defending him proves to me that you will be deeply affected by the return of his wife."

Lydia could tell the word "wife" hit Beth like a punch to the stomach. She visibly flinched. Beth knew her argument was rubbish but she had to say, "Lydia, all of this is an assumption made on your part. We don't know if he has a wife—"

Blast it, she wasn't trying to hurt her. She just wanted her to be ready. She softened her voice. "All I am trying to suggest," Lydia said, "is not to get too attached until you know for certain what his intentions are."

Beth began walking again and Lydia followed suit, studying her very carefully. Her eyes held a certain sadness to them, and Lydia suddenly wondered what life choices Beth had made to get to where she was, what it must feel like. She wasn't just a visitor in a foreign country; she was practically an alien from a different planet. It made Lydia feel even more guilty for being so harsh. Her shoulders slumped and she said, "As far as pirates go, I suppose you could have found a more dangerous one."