The Wedding

Lydia had never loathed to see her mother as much as she had that morning.

For all her mother's rules and strict conduct, she was still her mother. She knew she was loved by her. But to see her practically vibrating with excitement from where she sat behind Lydia on the edge of Lydia's bed stirred up such intense rage within Lydia that she hardly knew what to do. Lady Springton was sitting right beside her mother, so she bit her tongue.

But the view in front of Lydia was so much worse; Annabelle had helped her into her wedding dress just moments ago, and now Lydia was unable to tear her eyes away from it. All the frills, the lace, the bright white color should have thrilled her. Perhaps a month ago she would have been thrilled. But that morning, a boulder of dread rested at the bottom of her stomach.

"Oh, my darling," her mother sighed. "You look absolutely breath taking. Doesn't she, Mary?"

"Absolutely." Lady Springton nodded eagerly. "I don't think I've ever laid eyes on a more stunning bride."

Should she respond to that? Perhaps thank them for the compliment? If she opened her mouth, she feared she might scream, so she simply stared straight ahead, through the mirror.

"Elizabeth, dear," her mother exclaimed and Lydia's eyes rose momentarily to see her friend being squeezed by her mother in the doorway, "it's been ages since I've seen you! How are you?"

"Fine," Beth answered. "Excited for today, of course." But when her gaze strayed to where Lydia stood in front of the mirror, her voice conveyed anything but excitement.

Her mother released Beth from her death grip. "It is quite exhilarating, isn't it? I knew this marriage would happen for awhile, but still, to see her standing in her gown makes me so proud." Lady Hall turned to look at her daughter, beaming from ear to ear. "Of course, I will miss not having my daughter home with me, but I know she will be in good hands with Hugh. Isn't that right, Lydia?"

No, Mother. No, that is very, very wrong.

Lydia drew a deep breath as she reached a shaking hand up to take hold of her veil. "Yes, Mamma." Then she dropped it down and hid her face from the world. The anxiety that was building in her was moments away from imploding, and she knew she had to get this over with before it did. "We mustn't keep the crowd waiting any longer."

Lady Hall and Lady Springton led the way through the door but Lydia could see Beth waiting for her. Lydia's lids drifted closed as she sent a silent prayer up to God that Beth wouldn't try to stop her. Because if her friend so much as touched her arm as she walked by, Lydia knew tears would burst forth and she'd collapse right there in the hall. Thankfully, Beth stepped aside and Lydia let out a relieved breath as she made her way through the corridor.

The walk to the cathedral felt like the longest walk of her entire life. Though she kept her head held high, her insides fell lower and lower with each step. Outside the cathedral's doors waited Lydia's father and it took everything within her not to break down in sobs. Though she hadn't been able to say the words, she could see it in his eyes. He knew what had happened. He knew, but he was willing to ignore it for the sake of money.

She thought she was going to be sick.

Her father walked her down the aisle, and Lydia kept her eyes firmly shut against the mass of eyes watching her. Just before the altar, her father pulled her to a stop and lifted her veil. He gazed at her apologetically, but she found that she couldn't bring herself to care. It was as if her heart had frozen over and all her feelings had been muted. She clenched her jaw tightly as she was handed over to Hugh.

Opposite from the walk to the cathedral, the ceremony went by in a whirlwind. Lydia heard absolutely nothing the priest said as she stared blankly ahead. She was only brought back to the present when it was time to say her vows, and her voice wavered with every word. Then the priest said the most dreadful words: "I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride."