Chapter 13

The clinking of dishes and someone scuffling across the floor stirred me awake. I hadn't realized I'd fallen asleep.  Slowly and reluctantly, I blinked my eyes open. The room was cold as usual and all I wanted to do was sink further into the blankets. I shut my eyes and tried to go back to sleep but It was too late. My head was already buzzing with what happened yesterday. The thoughts ate away at my mind until I couldn't stand to lay there anymore.

Propping up on my elbows, I yawned and glanced around the room. My eyes landed on a tray of breakfast sitting on the floor beside me: A bowl of soupy oatmeal, a glass of milk and a plate of what I highly doubt is sausage. Beside the tray laid a bundle of wildflowers and flowery looking weeds tied together with a strand of twine. Is this some sort of peace offering? I plucked a golden dandy-lion from the midst, bringing it up to my nose, and smelling its sweet aroma.  Maybe he isn't as angry with me as I thought.

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of a dark figure crouched on the steps. Bubba peeked around the railing at me and quickly ducked back into his hiding place when he realized I could see him. 

"Thank you, Bubs. This is all very sweet of you." I said letting him know I was aware of his presence.

He wrapped his hands around the rails and watched me curiously through the bars. His usual mask donned his face instead of the womanish one he wore yesterday evening. I'm glad he changed into that one. It's less intimidating. Maybe that's because I'm used to seeing it...

"You don't have to hide from me. I'm not mad at you."

He slowly rose to his feet and crept out to where I could see him fully.  His normally broad shoulders were hunched forward curling in over his chest as he picked at his fingernails; his eyes refused to leave the floor.

"Come sit with me."  I patted a spot on the bed beside me. "We can share breakfast. You know I'll never be able to eat all this by myself."

He drug his feet towards the bed and sat down at the timidly at the foot much farther from me than he normally would. Usually, I have to remind him that personal space is a thing, but today he seems afraid to come near.

"Sorry"   he signed, making a fist and rubbing it in circular motions over his chest and still not daring to glance in my direction.

"I know you are," I said with a sigh "and I forgive you." 

I took his hand in mine and held it against my chest. His mouth fell agape as he watched me with his dark puppy dog eyes. "I never meant to hurt your feelings. I was just a little surprised, that's all. Now, let's forget all about it.  We're still friends, right?"

His face lit up and his sour expression turned into a big grin. "Very good friends," he signed, bouncing up and down giddily and sliding closer to me.

He raked his fingers through my hair smoothing out my tangly bed-head while I forced down the bland watery oatmeal. My eyes were drawn to the crimson stains on the cuffs of his shirt.  So, he did come back last night covered in blood?! I thought I'd dreamt it. I can't help but wonder who's blood it is. It's probably best I don't ask; I'm not sure I want to know the answer.

"How about we get this place cleaned up?" I asked after I had finished forcing down breakfast. 

I grabbed a broom from beneath the stairs and swept up the shards of glass while he turned all the furniture back upright.  After picking up each nicknack and putting it back where I remembered it going, the floor was finally starting to shine through.

An old tin canister rolled across the floor and bumped into my feet. I picked it up and examined the long-faded label that had something to do with coffee. I gave it a shake and listened to whatever was inside thud around. I'm sure Bubba won't mind if I take a peek inside. I can't help I'm nosey.