Chapter 15

"Supper Children!"  Loretta called from the top of the stairs as she undid the straps of her apron, slipping it from around her waist and smoothing out the skirt of her paisley-printed sheath dress that looked like something straight out of the 1980s.

She was dressed rather nicely for a boring old weekday; even her normally unruly mousy hair was pulled back away from her face in a neat bun. Now that I think about it, Bubba's dressed rather nice as well. He's wearing his Sunday best suit jacket and make-up covered mask and it's not even Sunday. Is it some sort of special occasion? Maybe I should have dressed up too? Hope Loretta doesn't mind my t-shirt and jeans.

Bubba and I join her in the foyer where she was leaning against the door casement leading into the dining room.  She lifted an eyebrow, her eyes taking in the sight of us. I stuck close behind him, clinging to his arm, unsure of why she's acting strange and what's she's planning. The corners of her eyes crinkled as she gave us a toothy grin. I flashed a half-smile before slipping past her into the dining room and taking a seat in my usual chair. 

Nubbins came flying past us, shoving his way into the room. He dove into his chair mumbling something about how hungry he was. His eyes grew as wide as saucers upon seeing the endless amounts of dishes and platters that laden across the table top. Looks like every cannibal's dream feast. Loretta must have been a busy bee today. I wonder what's put her in such a good mood. 

Propping my elbow on the table, I rested my chin in my hand and traced the stain of a water ring while I waited to get dinner over and done with. This has to be my least favorite part of the day. Something about watching them eat and knowing what it is they're eating makes me sick, but I can't let them know that. It's the same routine every evening: plaster on a fake smile, tell a few jokes and pretend like everything is blue skies and sunshine.

A scuffling noise of something scraping across the floor drew me from my thoughts. I glanced up to find Bubba dragging his chair around the table and placing it in the empty spot beside me.

"Whatcha doing, Bubs? " I asked, genuinely curious as to why he felt the need to sit beside me today. 

He chuckled and slid into his newfound seat. I ignored him and went back to tracing the water spot on the table while we waited for Loretta. Again, a dragging sound filled my ears. I looked over at Bubba who had nudged his chair a bit closer to mine when I wasn't paying attention. He can be so clingy sometimes, but all right, I'll play along. I looked away and heard the thump again. It seemed every time he thought I wasn't looking, he would scoot his chair closer to mine until eventually, we were only a few inches away from one another. 

Loretta walked in with a pitcher of water in her arms. Setting it on the table, she took her place standing behind her chair and clearing her throat she began, "Alright, now that we're all here. I have some wonderful news to share."

Bubba perked up as she spoke and edged his hand ever so slightly towards mine until his fingertips brushed against my knuckles. I unfurled my fingers and let him entwine his sweaty hand with my own. Kill 'em with kindness Tilly, kill 'em with kindness.

"Oh God, Momma please tell me you're not pregnant again?  That's why you cooked such a big meal, isn't it? " Nubbins answered back

" No Nubbins, I'm not pregnant." Her eyes shot piercing daggers in his direction. "You and your brothers are enough to 'bout to make me wanna pull my hair out."

" Brothers? You have other siblings?" I whispered, leaning over to Bubba who hadn't let his eyes leave me once, not even long enough to pay attention to his mother's speech.

He nodded and raised his hand up, using his other hand to hold down all his fingers except three. "Three brothers" he signed.

"Now, back to what I was sayin'." continued Loretta. "My sweet baby boy confessed something to me earlier today. Something that just warmed my heart."