The Breakfast

I wasn't sure if minutes passed, or seconds, but when I was manageable I lifted myself off of Will. I kept my hand in my face for a few moments.

"We need to take you to the hospital." When I didn't respond, Will continued, "You'll only last another fifteen minutes before you feel it again. Why didn't you tell Oliver you were allergic?"

I was still struggling to swallow when Will turned to Oliver, his brows furrowed and jaw tight, "And you didn't notice her avoid seafood throughout your entire relationship?" Yeah. Entire relationship in all of twenty four hours.

I glanced around, Abby, Madison, and James all stared at me- even a few strangers from other tables and some employees.

My fingernails itched the small warm bumps coming up on my neck. I frowned when Will grabbed my wrist, "Don't scratch." He stood, lifting me by my wrist. "I'll take her to the hospital."

Madison looked at Will, searching, "But I'm not done yet."

"I'll be right back- she just needs to go to the doctor."

"It's fine. I'll finish it later." She glanced at me and gave Will a tight smile.

The pressure in my chest didn't stop squeezing during their lover's quarrel. "Oliver'll take me." I coughed, turning to Oliver who already had his things in his hands. I could feel my skin burning up with every second that passed.

He nodded, grabbing my bag as well, "Let's go."

The drive to the hospital was fairly quick- all things considered. Oliver sped and never allowed a moment of silence, apologizing the whole ride there. He helped me through the emergency room, and spoke to the doctors for me. The doctors weren't too busy to take me in right away and give me some intravenous antihistamines and cortisone.

Oliver stayed with me while they ran the tests. I encouraged him to leave once the nurse told us I'd have to stay overnight, and he promised to be back in the morning.

*

I squinted at the caller ID on my phone- no name. "Hello?" My voice was raspy as I licked around my cotton mouth.

"Hey, it's Brandon." Bran-? Brandon! "Did I wake you up?"

"Yeah, but it's fine. What's up?" My voice was raspy, and I thanked heavens that it wasn't the first thing he questioned.

"I was wondering if I could take you out to brunch or something? My friend is a chef at a really great place downtown."

I coughed out a chuckle. "Unfortunately I already have reservations for my VIP breakfast at Baylor Medical Center at Uptown. I heard their grits are to die for." I smirked at my sarcasm.

"Isn't that a hospital?"

"Yeah, I've got VIP treatment too. They're bringing it up through room service. Granted, I couldn't get up anyway, but I'd still consider it special treatment."

"You're in the hospital? What happened?"

"Allergic reaction to shellfish."

"I remember. You threatened that you'd leave me if I  ordered the shrimp dish." He chuckled, "That's a relief, I thought I caused an aftershock on your body."

"Oh god. Three days later?" I laughed.

"You never know. So, are you allowed any visitors? I'd like to try this specialty breakfast your talking about."

"Sure. Room 405- but you're going to have to bring your own breakfast. Not sure if they give out lukewarm porridge to just anyone."

"Deal."