•3•

"Uh, what?" Harold said, clambering to his feet after Barrett. "We're doing what?"

"We need an expert in these situations," Barrett said, heading for the door. "I've got one. The families themselves"

"We can't just walk up to the Mafia and ask them, 'Hey! Have you been shooting people lately? Leaving them in trees and such?"

"We're not gonna walk up to the bosses. We have to talk to someone who owes me a favor." Barrett pushed open the door and walked out onto the sidewalk. He turned away from his parked car and began to walk down the sidewalk. "Come on!" he called.

Harold grabbed his hat and jacket, even though it wasn't that cold. He followed his partner out and jogged to catch up.

"You have a confidential informant?" he asked Barrett.

"I got him for assault last year," Barrett said. "He's just one of the lower 'soldiers' if they have to be called that, so he wasn't incredibly loyal to the family yet."

"And he owes you..."

"I convinced the D.A to let him off if he promised to become a CI."

Harold looked taken aback. "What if he squeals to the family?"

Barrett grinned. "Then I got a whole pile of crimes linked to the mob that I can pin to him and he knows it."

"And where does this CI live?" Harold asked, turning sideways to brush past a group of people walked past. Barrett just barreled through them.

"Just down the road," the senior partner said. "He bought an apartment close to the station in case the family found out about him. He wants us to get to him fast." Barrett rolled his eyes. "Selfish animal."

He stopped in front of an apartment complex. He pressed a button and it buzzed. Several seconds later, "Yeah?"

"Hey, it's your old pal Alvin," Barrett said into the intercom. He released the button and then waited for a response.

"Hey, hey, Al," the man said. "I didn't realize I invited you to the party."

Barrett swore under his breath. "What?" Harold said. "Is there a problem?"

"Yeah. A member of the family is there," Barrett said. He thought a moment then pressed the buzzer again. "Aw, but I'm an important friend! Come on man. I need to talk to you about something."

It was quiet for what seemed like minutes. Harold kept rocking on the balls of his feet until Barrett gripped his shoulder. Finally, Barrett's CI answered, "Fine."

The door buzzed and unlocked. Barrett nodded to Harold and tapped his own hip. Harold immediately pulled out his gun.

"No, no," Barrett hissed. "Just be prepared. Put that thing away."

Harold worked the gun back into his holster as the stepped onto the elevator.

"Alright, stay calm," Barrett said. "If we see the family, just be friendly."

The elevator opened and in front of them stood an older man and a young woman. Barrett recognized the man as a higher member of the mob family, the Renzulli. He didn't know the woman.

"You here for Samuele?" the man asked, eyes scanning the detectives. Barrett nodded. "I'm a friend of Sammy's. He's probably mentioned me. Alvin Casper, nice to meet you." He stuck out his hand and the man shook it. Barrett held out his hand to the woman but she just looked at him, her lips upturned in a mysterious smile that Barrett couldn't place.

"I didn't know you brought a friend," the man said.

"I want Sammy to meet him. Now if you excuse us, Barrett pushed past the man and woman and Harold followed like a shy child. Barrett wanted to look over his shoulder to see the woman again but he didn't want the Mob member to notice so Barrett kept his eyes forward.