2) The Fallen Kingdom

The throne room falls into utter silence as hope slips away.  The citizens finally realize that this attack isn’t just a random pack that happened upon their kingdom.  Right outside the castle walls, a full-blown battle ensues. The werewolf soldiers of Queen Dolph’s army are here with a goal: their annihilation.

“You’ve heard His Majesty!” says an older knight, breaking the silence.  “Let’s go!”

While the vampire soldiers race back into the courtyard, the human knights guide the crowd to the southwest exit at the rear of the throne room.  The women sob softly as they gather their children, unsure of their future.  The echoes of their footsteps as their feet leaves the lavish carpet and descend the stone staircase play a sad melody of a fallen king.  

In spite of the Kingdom’s bleak moment, King Roman’s posture remains erect and proud. Philip and Rafael remain quiet, unsure how to address a former king.  The only sound in the now empty throne room is Ivan tinkering with an spherical device.

“What is that?” Philip asks.

“It would have been our last hope to save the kingdom,” Ivan answers.  “It’s a powerful explosive that’s armed with silver shrapnels.  But I didn’t get the chance to install the remote igniter.”

King Roman turns on his heel, the graceful sway of his robes beckoning the other three to follow.  “There’s no point moping.  We need to make sure the children have boarded.”

“I entrust my son’s safety to you, Your Majesty,” Philip says as the four enters the stairwell of the southwest tower.  “I am needed on the battlefield.  I will, however, bid my son Kaiden a final farewell.”

“I will hear none of that,” the king quickly retorts, his authoritative tone resonating in the damp, cobblestone stairwell.  “My great-grandfather also made a promise to help preserve the vampire race.  Your bloodline is the only one in the coven that can reproduce and have the heredity bite.  You’re escaping with us.”  

King Roman pauses, waiting for more words of protest from Philip.  When none follows, he turns his attention to Rafael.  “I’m sure your convoy will grow suspicious if you return unscathed after going MIA for so long.  You can come with us to avoid treason charges.  They will likely believe that you were killed in action, and your family back home won’t be in danger.”

Rafael simply nods his head, not giving a definite answer to the king’s offer.  It isn’t long before the stairway leads the four into an underground water cavern.  The cave is so vast, an entire ship lays hidden inside, docked on a reservoir made to supply water to the kingdom.  Circular lamps are embedded in the cave’s walls and ceiling, illuminating the grand, wooden structure.  The steam from the ship’s engine forms a blanket of warm fog.  The river  empties into the open sea just a couple of miles south.  With the bleak situation, it’s the only pathway to safety.

Mincing through the boarding crowd, King Roman approaches a group standing near the bottom of the ship’s ramp.  A young man with red hair cradles two small babies in his arms while a little girl with the same hair color stands by his side.  Next to her is another girl of similar age with blonde hair and blue eyes.  If the second girl’s striking resemblance to King Roman isn’t enough, the small crown and elegant, violet robes are definite signs of her royal status.

Philip nudges Rafael and gestures towards the redheaded man.  “That’s Matthew Aldar.  He’s been caring for your son.”

“David,” Rafael says, murmuring his son’s name to himself.  He approaches Matthew and gives appreciative bow.  “Thank you for looking after my son.”

“It’s my pleasure, Mr. Montgomery,” Matthew says, smiling  proudly as he cradles the pair of infants.

Rafael carefully takes his son, an especially tiny, dark-haired infant.  Bringing the baby close to  his chest, a knot forms in his throat.  “He’s still so small.”