Chapter 1

________

A father never there

They say you live on in me

But then why can't I see

The hero that's inside of me

________

Morgan Stark was not your average child. First of all she was genius just like her father, Tony Stark. And second of all she would pass by her father's memorial everyday on her walk to school. She still got those 'i'm sorry's and 'he was a hero' which was stupid considering that half of them hated him when he was alive.(It's funny how people appreciate you when you're dead.) It's been ten goddamn years and yet people didn't seem to get that she understood, even then, that he wasn't coming back. Even though the Stark family was nearing the trillions in wealth she still went to a public school, Peter's school actually. Her mom, Pepper, thought it would be nice for Tony's daughter to go to the same school as his 'adoptive son'. Actually it was nice, she would get to be a regular kid. But the bus wouldn't stop at her house so walking was pretty much her only option until she was 16. One one more year and she'd be able to drive. Luckily her mom and hers apartment wasn't far from the school. She still wished she could drive though. But today wasn't a school day, today she would spend her day at the avengers compound, with her aunts and uncles. (Mostly uncles, her father surrounded himself with men) She found it kind of funny how she had at least three homes and her own room in each. She never spent a lot of time in the same place, that was just her life. It was like her dad's life. If she was honest with herself she missed her dad, a lot, but she would never tell anyone that. It took her mom forever to get over his death and Morgan was the thing she leaned on the most. It wasn't smart because she was five at the time and didn't realize what he had done. Morgan just remembers that her mother would cry a lot and hug Morgan telling her to keep a smile on her face. Morgan loved her mom and did her best for her.

Happy drove Morgan to compound, when Tony died he protected the kid with fire, he was always there for her, ever since she asked for that cheeseburger. He had said that her father had liked cheeseburgers and although she knew he was gone, she still didn't like the fact that he had used past tense. But Happy, he had other work to do besides looking out for her but he was by her side whenever he could be. They parted ways with a little more than a goodbye. They had been chatting in the car. But her eyes lit up when she saw who was in the compound.

"Uncle Steve!" She cried as she noticed the old man sitting on the couch. He smiled at her.

"Hello Morgan. It's been awhile." He said. She rushed up to him and gave him a gentle hug, knowing that while he was still a super soldier, he was an old and fragile super soldier. He was very close to Morgan when she was younger. She quickly pulled away and crossed her arms, remembering something.

"Wait I am super mad at you!" She said. He laughed lightly. (Morgan was one of the only people, these days that could still make him laugh.)

"Why?" He asked. She huffed and hit the couch in mock anger.

"Because!" She exclaimed. "You should know what you did!" She accused. He laughed again.

"Would you remind me, dear. I'm afraid I'm over a hundred years old. You'll have to forgive me if I forget a few things." He said. She huffed again but Steve saw a small smile crack through her mock frown.

"Always playing the age card." She muttered.

"Can't fix what ain't broke." Steve reminded her. 

"You missed my birthday this year! It was two months ago!" She complained. He laughed again, with more heart this time.

"Alright, kiddo. What do you want this year?" Steve asked. She smiled shyly and looked down. It was funny how fast her mood could change.