.22.

HE WOULD HAVE SHOVED HER AWAY, BUT AIZAWA GAVE HIM A DEATH GLARE. The teacher made eye contact with him, glowering as if to say wake her up and I will beat you to a pulp. He scoffed and looked away, though that might not have been the best idea as now he was looking at the guy with the bird head. Toko-something. The dark boy stared at him out of the corner of a bright red eye, warning him not to mess with the girl or else chaos would ensue. Bird Boy was her friend, if their quiet interactions were anything to go by. Although, he had absolutely no idea why their teacher was so concerned with Smith's staying asleep.

The girl in question hadn't moved or made a sound the entire ride. She looked peaceful, perhaps the calmest he'd ever seen her. Her fingers twitched in her lap from time to time, but otherwise she was still. Smith seemed tired from the moment classes began, and she said that she didn't sleep at all the night before, but waved it all off saying she was fine. Everyone believed her, and he almost did too. Almost. He knew something was off when she didn't return his challenging stares like she usually did. And then the dazed look on her face at lunch, that she had still been wearing before she fell asleep against his shoulder.

What had happened the day before? He was trying to find her so he could return that stupid bracelet that she wore every single day, why did she have so many bracelets, it was weird. And she ran right into him, green eyes wide and body rigid with a fear that he'd never seen from her. Someone else got into the school, was all she said, mumbled really, before running off.

He still hadn't given her the bracelet. It was in his backpack, in the 1-A classroom. He meant to return it, not make it a big deal or anything, but every time he thought about it, the look on her face made him put it off until later. He didn't know why. Normally, he didn't care about how others felt, he just did what he wanted. Yet, this cold, quiet, aggravating girl made him think a little more about his actions. He caught himself wondering is she was impressed by him, that's stupid everyone is impressed by him, what she thought of him, whether she was judging him like the rest of the class.

It ticked him off.

And now that girl leaned against his side, head on his shoulder without even realizing how flustered it made him. What was he supposed to do? Shrug it off? Ask her about it later? What a time to realize just how much of an effect a female can have on a male.

"How long is this freaking trip gonna take?" he muttered, glaring at the opposite side of the bus, warmth blooming at his cheeks.

---

She woke up with a jolt, gripping the handrail in front of her. Her mask pressed uncomfortably against the left side of her face, which felt really warm. She briefly remembered feeling drowsy. It took a moment for her to realize where she was: the bus. Everyone was slowly exiting the vehicle.

"Get up, runt." She blinked and looked to her left. Bakugo stood next to her, arms crossed and signature scowl on his face. "We're here." He turned and walked toward the exit, barking something at Kirishima, who wore a smug expression for some unknown reason.

She fixed her ponytail and her mask, then followed the others.

Her uncle led them to a large domed building. As the entrance grew closer, a heavy feeling came to rest in her gut. Something felt off. It was the same feeling that kept her up the night before.

Dread.

Something was going to happen, something that was not a part of her uncle's lesson plan.

"Kendria."

She blinked once, twice, head snapping in the direction of the tired voice so fast she heard a pop! Her uncle held the door open for her, eyebrow raised. "C'mon. You're the last one, you're holding us up." She swallowed her nerves and nodded, sweeping the awful feeling away and allowing the usual cold numbness to return to the point that she could truthfully say "I don't care" in response to anything.

There was an odd person waiting for them inside. Short and dressed in the likeness of an astronaut, they introduced themselves as "Thirteen" and began to lecture the class on using Quirks safely. She wasn't listening, though, as she was too busy admiring the building in which they stood.

Just like the Tardis from the old sci-fi show Doctor Who, the "Unforseen Simulation Joint" was bigger on the inside. There seemed to be at least six sections of the building that housed different types of disasters, from flooding to a collapsed city. It was amazing, the effort put into it all. An ingenious way of teaching students how to deal with natural disasters, without putting them in the real situations.

However, these calm thoughts were put out of her mind as her gaze caught on a black thing appeared in the plaza below them. It swirled, growing larger and larger, and there was barely enough time for all of the blood in her body to run cold before fingers reached out from the hole, followed by a head and a body covered in severed hands and she couldn't look away because the hand-man had dirty red shoes.

Her uncle screamed something at her and her classmates, but all she could hear was the pounding of her heart and the roaring in her ears as the man with the red shoes pointed at them.

Pointed at her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when you've actually been in a situation before so you can write it without it sounding cliche skskskskks

-- Fan