Chapter 1

There was a myth that the elder of each village told their younger generation whenever men went to war, they would say that the God of War and King of Hell was the one who took away the men that went to war. He was said to be the King of the hellish world filled violence and bloodshed where he feasted on the desires of humans to kill and shed blood on their own kind. However he would spare the men of a village if they gave an offering, the most beautiful young innocent woman who had never been tainted and was not touched by other men, although it was an offering they would call often call her the sacrifice. Then he would bring them back home in exchange for the pure soul so that the god himself could feast on and demolish the poor soul as he tear apart each string of fate bounded to that person.

Nevertheless they were only myths and rumours that were made up to give women and children hope that their husband or father to come back home safely as long as they wished hard enough the Goddess of life will protect from the hands of death and the God of war. However when humans get desperate, it is in their nature to do whatever they believe, even if it meant throwing themselves off the cliff they would do it, or even sacrificing their eldest daughter to the mythical world; and this what happened to Yein.

Here she was, sitting on the small dock that was on the edge of a small lake that was said to be the way to the other land where the guardians and gods lived. She saw her grandparents and bid them good bye and bowed in respect as she whispered a prayer for long life for them; she then hugged her frail mother, the woman who brought her into this world and wore a smile every day and cried more than Yein when she was chosen as the offering, and once again she broke into tears seeing her beautiful oldest daughter in a white hanbok with red lip paint and soft powdered rosy cheeks she tucked a raven strand behind her ear and smiled one last time as she place her forehead on hers.

"My beautiful child... please.... I wish I could save you and go in your place...-"

"My dear mother, please do not wish such a cruel thing. If you were to go in my place, I would never forgive myself and if Hyoin were to go, I would still go in her place. Please be happy when I leave, no more crying and mourning, I am not going to die when I leave and, father will return for sure." She held her mother's small hands.

"Also remember to smile and think of the wonderful things in life and forget about me. Make sure Hyoin eats a lot and she studies hard to become a wonderful wife and make sure her husband is a man of father's standard. I believe father will return and everyone will be safe in this village."

"My Yeinnie...please... although this may sound rather ridiculous, will you take this before you go to remember us by?" Her mother took off a ruby red pendent with a fox embodied inside the stone. "This has been given to my great grandmother as protection against evil and I want you to have it." She placed the pendant on her neck and smiled one last time as she held her daughter's face in her tiny hands and hugged her long and tight. Yein breathed in her mother scent, one that is filled with her cooking that she loved, and the hint of Camilla flowers that grew near their house. Although they don't have a scent, her mother smelled like them.

"Yein eonnie..." A small child the age of eight stood there holding her sister's handkerchief that she always used. Yein smiled and let her mother go as she crouched down to her sister's height, careful not to dirty the hanbok.

"Omo my beautiful Hyoin, why are you almost in tears my angel?" She grabbed the handkerchief and wiped the younger's tears. The little one sniffled and tried to hide the tears threatening to fall which made Yein smile as she held the tiny small hands that loved to braid her hair.

"Thank you so much for doing my hair today! Do you think eonnie looks pretty?"

"Yes, my sister Yein is the prettiest in the village!"