a thought on romance

Society has propagated us into thinking that we cannot be content with life without a partner. We cannot be whole. That is the idea of a soulmate; someone who was part of you before you were split in half and had to search for your 'other half' throughout your lives. This makes us feel incomplete when we are single. Makes us think that our happiest moments would be even more joyful if we were with someone else, which makes our happiness feel pointless. Why experience happiness, if one could experience greater happiness that someone would give to you. Therefore, we believe that life, alone, is not as good as it could be. This drives us to search for someone, anyone, who can create this feeling of wholeness within us, even if it is a temporary fit. Despite knowing subconsciously, that you will not end up with this person in the future, sometimes even very near future, the gap has been filled, and we believe that we could not be happier because we are sharing it with someone.

 However, by forcing oneself to be with someone, despite one knowing that it is not true love, the happiness one feels is reassuring, but not true. One could feel even greater happiness if one did cherish it by oneself. Alone. With all the time in the world.

Temporary relationships could ruin the time you could have had for yourself, focusing on your self. Temporary relationships exist to create greater love in oneself, which one believes one could not channel alone. That is why self-love is the greatest gift one can achieve in life. Being content with oneself is better than assuming that one isn't a complete human being without someone to give you the love you lack in yourself. We need to stop searching for someone else, for the 'other half', when that other half, can be created through self-love. 

After all, it is better to find someone with a full body, rather than a half one.