CHAPTER SIXTEEN

The news the following morning said it all. Kuzo was standing in front of the TV when Maia walked in with a cup of coffee, dressed in a long morning coat.

"Hey you" She said, raising her coffee mug to her lips. Kuzo turned to his mother and ran to hug her.

"Whoa" The force of his hug caused her to spill a bit of her coffee.

"Easy there" Maia said with a smile.

"I knew you'd do it"

"Do what honey?"

"Don't pretend mom, I know, thank you" He said and Maia couldn’t hide her smile. She pulled his cheek.

"It was the right thing to do. When did you get so tall, you're almost my height now, what are we having for breakfast today, I see you took it upon yourself to cook today"

"Yes I did, we'll have crepe with whipped cream and strawberry sauce.

"In times like these I miss your father" Maia said.

"I know mom, but you have me" Kuzo replied.

She smiled.

"What are you going to do today?" Maia asked.

"I was thinking maybe I could join you at the bakery, my hands could use some flour, they're getting all tough from dealing with hotwiring even my finger tips are going numb"

"That sounds like a nice idea" Maia looked elated.

"Great then!"

***

Kuzo had no clue how much fun he had missed with his mother till he baked with her that day. They left for the bakery and Kuzo was happy to see the people who worked with his mother.

"Heard you guys came around when I was in the hospital, saw your cards and all, thanks guys"

"Oh they made you an apple pie, your dad ate it all" Maia said.

"Are you kidding me" Kuzo squealed and everyone laughed as they baked.

The store soon filled up with people and they served donuts and pies and muffins, some sat to eat others made orders which they delivered but Maia wouldn’t risk her son getting unto the skate board and delivering items so instead he served when the shop began to fill up.

He put on his apron and gladly smiled at the customers as he took their orders.

And then he walked to one of the tables that held new people.

"Welcome to the Buns Bakery, what would you be having please?" He said not one looking down at them.

"Well look who works here" He finally looked down, it was Zac and to his uttermost shock, Summer was his date.

"Summer?" He wore a look of disbelief.

"Hey Kuzo, it's nice to see you're doing great"

"Yeah I am, shouldn’t you be in school?" Kuzo asked, trying to ascertain why Summer was out of school that morning and with Zac.

"Ummm……" Summer began to say.

"We….i mean i….."

"Skipped school to be with me today" Zac said and Summer kicked him under the table.

"Ouch, that hurt" Zac squealed.

"It's really not what you're thinking Kuzo"

"You know what it's actually none of my business, I'll just take your orders" Kuzo said, he could feel rage but he kept his calm.

"Hot chocolate with whipped cream and a Chelsea bun for me and she'll have what I'm having. Kuzo scribbled. He made sure not to meet Summer's eye.

He walked back in and placed the order.

"You send it when it's done April, table 4, I'm not going out there else I may cause havoc"

"Why what's wrong?"

"Nothing, just please cover up for me okay"

"Okay Kuzo, sure" April didn't ask any more questions. Kuzo returned to the baking room where his mother was with the other bakers. She was working on a cake.

"Would you mind designing this one Kuzo, it’s a birthday cake for a three year old"

"Ummm..sure" Kuzo said and walked up to his mother, she noticed his glow was no longer there.

"Hey what's wrong are you okay?"

"I'm fine mom, just a bit…."

"Are you feeling sick, pains?" She touched his forehead with her flour covered hands.

"Mom" He whined.

"Oops" She giggled.

"You did that on purpose" He picked the whipped cream can and sprayed a bit on her nose. She giggled and so did he, then she wiped the cream off with a napkin.

"If you're getting tired you can sit it out you know"

"No, I hold a three year old girls' smile in my ability to sprinkle some happiness on this cake, I won't let that slip away, not a chance" He got to decorating the cake.

Maia watched him work, smiling.