The Battle Before The Peace

6 1/2 months ago

"Just a couple more miles and we'll be on our way to the middle of the ocean where no monsters can get us." I said while braiding Maria's hair.

"Will you teach me how to fish?" She said scooping another spoonful of soup into her mouth.

"Sure. I can teach you basic baiting and catching. My father taught me the basic stuff. We can eat crab and fish all the time. And...." I paused.

My throat started burning and my nails bit into the supple flesh of my palms.
I quickly tie a band around the end of her braid and get up.
Not being so close made it easier to breathe.

"Feck." I huffed.

"What's wrong?" Maria gets up and tries to come closer.

"Stop! Sweety I need a bit of space. I want you to go into the shed for me and stay quiet." I said throwing in the bags and her sleeping bag. I nudged her inside and lock her into it from the outside with the chain.

I make a run for it running in the opposite direction as the sun sets and my anger rises.
An unnatural screech rips from my body.

I hear a deer sprinting away and immediately run after it.
My body dodging trees and rocks.
A fallen tree lays in my path and in a swift leap I clear the trunk and when my feet hit the ground I keep running.

In the distance the grown buck is running for its life.
Its pelt has a sheen on it and its eyes look crazed as it tried desperately to outpace me as I get closer on the side of his left flank.

I push myself harder and twist my body as I lunge for the deers midsection.
My shoulder barreling into his ribs,
I heard a loud crack.
I wrapped my arms around its.   Neck and snap it and rip into it with my nails.
I sink my teeth in and drink the blood.

After draining it of most of it's blood I begin to think about taking a bite but my mind tells me not to. That it'll change me for the worse.
I listen to these newfound instincts and drop the deer. I skin it for its pelt and wash it before rolling it up and into me backpack along with a chunk of meat for the kid.

I'm gonna have to wash this thing thoroughly when I have the chance.

A smell hits my nose and again my body shakes as I feel this unbridled desire to scream.

A loud grumble is building in my chest when I hear a womans scream.

My head snaps in the direction the sound came from and I now understand what the smell is... Zombies. I run toward the screams.

I stopped as I saw a woman bent over on the ground sobbing over a man's body as zombies close in.

I could see from here that she had a bite mark on her arm which made me want to leave her but her swollen belly and the wetness on her gown made me realize she was in labor.

I can't leave the child.
The woman is doomed but maybe....
Maybe I can have a baby afterall.

I pull out my sword and run behind three of the zombies and slice through their necks. I jump and wrap my legs around  the neck of the female zombie in the tatters of a once red dress and clamp my thighs tight as I kick off her chest and her head comes off..

There were three more and one of them happened to be a naked woman.
It made me really uncomfortable the get close to that one but I split her in half and seperated her neck like the rest.
After all of the zombies were back to being dead I stood there panting and aching.

Note to self.
Zombie powers in a chubby girl doesn't make it less exhausting to do crazy cool martial arts.
It just makes it possible.

I stooped beside the man the pregnant woman was with and separated his head from his shoulders like I would any other zombie.
The injured pregnant woman screams and lunges at me.

I pin her down safely and hush her.
"Listen! He would have turned into one of those freaks... and judging from that bite in your arm you are going to turn too. But I'm giving you the chance to possibly save your child's life." I hissed.

She lay there sobbing for a minute before nodding and lifting her knees.
"Please save my baby." She whispers.

I got between her legs and see the blood and hair from the crowning of the baby's head.

"I'm gonna need you to push on the count of three. 1... 2... 3... PUSH!" I shout.
She grunts as her body clenches to push out the little baby's head.

"Again. 1... 2... 3... Push!" The baby's shoulders squeeze from the womans orifice.
The process is repeated and on the last push the woman collapses.

I take a rubber band and tie it tightly around the umbilical cord and cut it with the relatively clean  zombie blood free, knife from the womans purse.

"It's a baby boy." I say finally looking up at her face.

Her eyes are vacant and empty.
She is motionless.
Dead.

I sigh and use my sword to cut off her head before making my way to the stream with the child. I wash off myself and the baby as he cries in my arms.

I had a miscarriage two months ago so I still produced milk but I didn't know if my new situation would hurt him. But he'd die if he didn't get nutrition so I did what I thought was right.

I lifted up my shirt and let him latch on.
Looking in his eyes the only thing that I could see changing in him were that his eyes were turning orange brown.

He would be fine.
I'm not sure how to raise a zombie apocalypse baby but I'd do my best.

After a long walk I arrive back at the shed and undo the chain.

"Finally! Wait... when did you have a baby?" She says staring at the child in my arms.

I ruffle through the bag and find a blanket to swaddle him in.
"There was an incident. We'll be keeping him. I have my old baby clothes in a trunk on the boat. There's cloth diapers too.
I guess we were prepared for this little guy without even knowing." I said picking up the bags.

"What's his name?" Maria said looking at him curiously as we continued to walk to the docks.

I thought about it for a minute.

"Elissar. After Aragorn's nickname from Lord Of The Rings. It's really cool." I said laughing.

"Cool..... I guess. We can call him Elis. (L-S)" She says smiling with a slight eyeroll.

We reach the dock and I point three boats down.

"The S.S. Sirius is right there. My dad let me name it after a Harry Potter character." I said smiling.

"What's Harry Potter?" Maria says with raised brows.

"Oh no. You are getting homework on that boat missy. You're luck I have all the Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings an Hobbit books on the shelf below deck." I said laughing.

Honestly what the hell has the younger generation come to.

Maria ran to the boat and climbed aboard. I hand her Elis and spent the next hour and a half siphoning fuel and gathering supplies from the other boats.

When I get behind the wheel with the baby in my arms and Maria curled up on the couch I finally feel safe. We leave the shore and set sail for nowhere.