One From Long Ago

My head is pounding as I open my eyes to a sterile white room that smells like a hospital.

I groan sitting up to finally notice the cold ring of metal around my wrist.
I yank at it and it snaps off.

I carefully climb off the bed and walk to the door to try to push it open.
Immediately I am met with a gun pointed between my eyes.

"This is a great wake up call. I'd have also excepted coffee and bacon but whatever." I say rolling my eyes.

"This is just a precaution. The doctor wants to see you." Alec says stepping out from behind the armed men.

"That old white guy?" I ask.

"No that's our physician but this doctor specializes in biology, biochemistry and diseases." Alec says as I'm pushed down a hall and led to a door.

Alec pushes it open and I am nudged inside.
A woman stands with her back to me next to a pool that reflects the dark sky and bright moonlight above us.
Alec closes the door leaving the guards outside.
The woman turns and my jaw drops.

"Aria! Where have you been for the last twelve years!" I say glaring daggers at her.

"Nice to see you haven't changed since you were eight. You're still stubborn and obnoxious." Aria says rolling her eyes.

"Sure I am. But at least I didn't abandon my family and leave my little sister to take care of our sick mother. You were a coward." I said getting angry as my eyes started to burn with tears of frustration.

"I wasn't going to put my life on hold. I loved our family but I had a great opportunity to work under very influential people and now I'm one of the best in the business. I regret having you take on the responsibility but I had to. This was my dream." She says coming closer to me.

"Best in the business because everyone else is dead. You know what? I forgive you. I forgive you for not showing up on Christmas, for not writing back, for never answering my calls, for not attending my graduation and hell... I could even understand you not wanting to see mom deteriorate. But what I need to understand is.... why didn't you ever want to talk to me? I know I can be annoying but you and I were close.. you were my person. What did I do to make you leave me?" I say crying out but no tears would fall.

"Zara.... Zara it wasn't you. I wanted out of that town. I hated the smallness of it all. I hated the situation our family was in. I needed to leave and I cut all ties when I did so. I was a dumb eighteen year old who only thought of myself. By the time i wanted to fix things i was too ashamed to call. I'm thirty one years old now. You're twenty. We're both adults so I hope we can try to mend this." Aria says grabbing my hand.

I look at her necklace.
The one I gave her on her seventeenth birthday. I sold lemonade and chocolate bars for months to save enough for it.

"You kept the necklace?" I said smiling.

"Of course.. somebody really important gave it to me for my birthday." Aria hugs me and then let's go clearing her throat.

"I'm sorry for interrupting your little reunion but didn't we have something important to tell her." Alec says from the bench.

"Oh! Yes.. sorry. Zara as I'm sure you know, you're infected. The problem is that when I took your blood and compared it to other ranks of zombies none matched.. at least not completely. Your blood shared similarities to all ranks. Except instead of the virus attacking the normal cells they are bonding and coexisting which hasn't been observed ever. If there are more like you and they went feral it'd be complete chaos." Aria says running a hand through her hair.

"The boy child you have seems to have a diluted form of your virus but he's not contagious which is extraordinary." Alec states standing up slowly.

"Elis? Elis is here?! WAIT! You experimented on my son?!" I say in fury as I lunge for the Nightstalker.