Family Beliefs

A bus came to a stop in the town of Shenon at around noon. The long streets were filled with vendors and people of all kinds. Cross guards were leadings the crowds of people, horses, carriages, and occasional cars through the streets. The smell of sweet cakes and savory meats filled the air as people rushed around to find the perfect meal for their lunch. It hardly snowed here in Shenon. When it did, it would grow a few centimeters before melting away. That's what made Refund Beach City so magical. As the bus drove away, a young man stood where it once was. He took in a deep breath and grabbed his bags, walking down the steps of the central bus station. He missed the bustling streets of his home town known as Shenon. Shenon was one of the central trading towns in the region, and he was proud to be from this town. However, he didn't realize how far behind they were technologically. It was really embarrassing having to learn the basics to current technology for school, but he did it.

As he made his way down the street, he smiled and greeted the regulars that he knew. He smiled at the children who missed playing with him and the adults who helped raise him. Slipping past the crowds of townspeople, he made his way to the Sidewalk of Stories. The Sidewalk of Stories had been around for centuries. There, local townsfolk would tell tales and legends to anyone who would listen. It's a tradition here, a tradition that his father held dearly. As he neared the center of the story filled street, he heard his father's voice.

"But beware, for they are all evil and cruel!"

He watched with a chuckle as the young children gasped and hid behind their older relatives. Slipping past everyone, he walked up to the chuckling man.

"Father, you missed my arrival."

"Ah! Gang Ho! There you are my son! My apologies, you know how busy your old man is!"

Gang Ho gave a lopsided smile as his father pulled him in for a side hug, only to push him away quickly once a crowd began to form once again. Rolling his eyes, Gang Ho began to walk away as his father's voice boomed loudly amongst the crowd.

"Listen here! This is the warning I give to all who will listen! You shall pass along my knowledge to you about the dangerous serpents! They are all a danger!"

Gang Ho sighed as he turned away, not in the mood for such fables. He began to walk down the road, feeling his father's eyes watch his every move. Annoyed by his father's presence, he turned the corner and headed to the quieter town streets.

All serpents are dangers.

That's the one thing his father implanted into his brain, ever since he was a young boy. Like any young boy who loved his father, Gang Ho blindly believed him. This changed, however, when he met Aru and Mook. He would have never considered even walking near Mook if it weren't for the naive girl. He would have never learned that not all serpents were evil.

He could never tell his father this.

He wasn't exactly "friends" with the boy, but close acquaintances. They were close enough to stand near each other when Aru was around. Close enough to make moderately funny jokes to each other. Close enough to not tell his father that he filed an application for Mook to become his roommate so that he could live a somewhat normal life on campus. Close enough to not tell his father that the application was accepted, and that Mook would move in after the break. As he mindlessly walked down the familiar roads, a door swung open with a loud BANG! Before he knew it, he was being dragged down the street by a petite woman much older than him.

She smelled like fresh roses. She was soft, and her hugs warmed him up. Laughing with a smile, Gang Ho pulled away and took the basket from her. He insisted on carrying it all the way back him.

"Ah, my little Hoya~! You've become more handsome!"

"Mother, please."

Embarrassed from the praise, he picked up the pace and stayed a few feet ahead of his mother. When they reached the family's house, he unhinged the gate and opened it up, holding it open for his mother. She fawned over how her son would soon get a wife with those manners before going walking into the yard. Moving quickly without messing up anything in the basket, he closed the gate and ran up the steps to open the door for his mother. She took her time entering the house, testing how patient her son would be. When she finally walked inside, he closed the door and went to set the basket down in his mother's study. He quickly ran down the hall to his old room to set his suitcase down. Quickly unpacking his belongings, he took this time to collect his own thoughts.

Mentioning Mook was a no go. His parents would have his head if they found out about him. Mentioning Aru would cause embarrassing and weird questions about his relationship to his sister figure. He decided that the safest route would be to just talk about his classes and work, as well as mentioning the advanced technology that the main cities had. Maybe he could convince his parents to bring technological advancements into the town. By the time he left his room and went downstairs, his father had come home from storytelling. He just gave Gang Ho a hand shake and a nod as he welcomed him back from school. The three then quickly went off to washed up and then surround the table to eat dinner. After a few awkward discussions about school in the city and the technology there, his parents began their rant once again. They reminded their son about the dangers of serpents and how they are all heartless and cruel beasts. Gang Ho stayed silent through it all.

That night was the very first night that he didn't feel at home in his own house.