Chapter 3

Date: March 25th (7 Days before the Apocalypse)

•  3rd POV  •

Rowena woke up in a cold sweat on that morning, same as she did every morning since the passing of Ben Hargreeves. She turned towards her side and looked at her nightstand, the alarm clock read 4 am. She hadn't got a restful night in years, waking up from the same set of nightmares after all these years. The lack of sleep took a major toll on her body, her skin had seemed to grey a little, her black hair was less full and her eyes looked drained of all hope.

She wasn't the person she use to be, she knew that. But remembering the exact reason why she was like this made her really wish things were different, and that the future she had planned had come true. Rowena continued to lay in her bed, staring at the wall of pictures and posters, as well as the picture of her and Ben that sat on her nightstand. Moving slightly, she heard a crinkling noise, from under the mattress, she got off it, and placed her hand where the sound was. After grabbing what seemed like a thin piece of something she pulled her hand back to see what exactly made the noise. She gave a slight gasp at the sight of the sheet of paper.

In her hand was a note Ben had written her, he told her he had begun to enjoy writing, as he kept a book in his hand at all times, he wanted to try it out himself. In doing so, he practiced by writing secret letters to Rowena and gave them to her in the dead of night.  She had shoved them under her bed so Hargreeves wouldn't find them easily, but never did she imagine she'd see another one. It was dated with the day before Five had run away, Ben had gotten farther in his book and wanted to update her on what it was about, as well as to write his feeling about her, compliments spewed from the pages and she smiled at the memory, growing teary-eyed at the crumpled paper.

It was a warm day, it was time to eat together at the dining table that Grace had set up, they all sat opposite to another child, the head being taken over by Hargreeves himself, while the children all faced one another. Vanya sat across from Five, Ben across from Rowena, Klaus across from Diego, and Allison across from Luther. After Hargreeves had let them all sit down, they began to eat, as talking wasn't allowed during meals. Five was studying his siblings, he could see Diego carving something into the table with his knife, Klaus was doing something but by Five's gut feeling he knew the former was rolling a joint. Allison and Luther were sharing glances at one another and Ben was reading, but glancing at Rowena every once in a while, the only non-Hargreeves was simply enjoying her meal, but kept looking up at Ben as well.

Five grew agitated, quickly, and stabbed his knife into the table, causing everyone to flinch and look up at him. "Number 5?" Hargreeves spoke loudly, his voice echoing throughout the hall. "I have a question," Five's voice was tense, his annoyance was clear and the others were still with confusion. "Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtime, you're interrupting Herr Carlson," Hargreeves was being tough on the young teen, and Five had enough, shoving his plate forward he continues to stare down Reginald Hargreeves, his father. The others were still staring at this conversation, Five was much more rebellious and flashy than Rowena, as she stayed in line to a point, Five liked to play games and prove his worth. Five began to speak of time traveling, something Hargreeves had told him time and time again, he wasn't allowed to do. Rowena was staring directly at Five, turning her head to glance at Ben, making eye-contact to make sure the other wasn't too spooked by Five's argument with Reginald. Five stood and jumped space, from one end of the table to standing next to Reginald. They all continued to eat, ignoring the fight that the two were having, but Five wasn't having it, he ran out the door, and Rowena took a glance at Ben, worried for Five. He never did come home that afternoon, he never came home at the end of that week, he never came home at the end of that month nor that year. He never came home, not till about 16 years, 4th months, and a few more days later did Five return to his home, and it was right before the Apocalypse.