Chapter 1: Her

I sat in my hospital room spaced out, staring out the window while admiring the thunder and lightning. If their's one thing you should know about me is I love the rain. I would give anything to go outside and let the cool rain drops fall against my face, to feel the earth shake beneath my feet, and of course to hear the thunder pound in my soul like a perfectly beating heart.

But I'm not aloud to beca- "Zoey are you even paying attention to a word I'm saying?" "Oh shit you scared the hell out of me." In the door frame stood a tall women with dark skin, her hands on her hips and her bangs covering part of her face, it was Miranda, probably here to tell me I need to exercise or something. 

"Girl, you need to get up and exercise, also watch your language." Called it. "But I like being a couch potato." I responded sarcastically. "Zoey you're always trapped in this room it's not good for you now get up before I come over there and make ya." I knew she was just playing but another part of me knew she also was being very serious. 

"Alright fine fine you win." Miranda gives me a warm smile. Oh if only she knew why I really agreed to get out of my not so comfortable bed. "Thank you but stay out of the emergency room." Well shit seems like she knew what I was planning. "Awe come on Miranda I thought you wanted to me to get exercise." She rolled her chocolate colored eyes at me. "I do but I don't want you seeing what rolls through that door like last time."

"But last time was so cool the guy had a freaking axe buried in his chest and I got to watch Sam take it out." I said probably way too excited. "See that's what I mean you're only seventeen, do you not remember how your dad reacted when you told him, I swear I've never seen a person go so pale so fast in my entire medical career." She said covering her eyes as if she had a headache.

"Oh come on you know I want to work in the medical field someday." Someday if I survive long enough to get there. I guess I had zoned out again because before I could process Miranda was sitting on my bed and giving me one of her special hugs. I absolutely love hugs from Miranda, they remind me of the way my mom used to hold me. I couldn't resist not hugging her and before I knew, I was returning the hug. Miranda is really like a second mom to me.

"You can go to the emergency room." She whispered softly. I pulled away quickly still holding her arms. "Wait really?" "Yes but you'll be with me the ENTIRE time and if anything really serious comes through doors you're leaving." "okay okay fine lets go." I quickly got up and put my black converse on while trying to run out the door. "Be careful Zoey remember your heart." 

My world had finally come crashing down again. My heart how could I forget such an important factor in my life. I started to calm myself knowing if I got to worked up I could seriously hurt myself. Having a hole in your heart literally takes the fun and excitement out of everything.

Let me give you a quick lesson, Your heart has a right side and a left side. Each side consists of an upper chamber called the atrium and a lower chamber known as the ventricle. Blood normally flows from an atrium to a ventricle and then out of the heart. When there are abnormal openings in the chamber walls that separate right from left, blood may flow from atrium to atrium or ventricle to ventricle. Most of those openings are present at birth and may cause symptoms early in life or after several years. 

I have what you call a larger opening between the Atria, Approximately one in one thousand people have larger openings between the atria, and these come to medical attention. Because pressure is higher in the left heart than the right, blood will be shunted from the left atrium, overloading the right heart. The result is right heart failure and abnormally high pressure in the blood vessels of the lung. Shortness of breath, swelling of the legs, abnormal heartbeats and other signs of heart failure may occur.

For some reason I'm pretty lucky I don't have any swelling in my legs at all thank the freaking universe, but I do have shortness of breath and an abnormal heart beat. I try not to think about it too much, but when I don't bad things to happen. I'm just lucky Miranda stopped me from running across the hospital. 

"Oh Miranda, did my new test results come in yet?" "Sorry sugar it'll be a few hours." She looks worried, something isn't right, but I let it go. "Well then let's get a move on remember I need my exercise?" She rolled her eyes "Yeah yeah I know what I said come on let's go."

I never told Miranda but I actually did enjoy the long walks with her. Spending time with her is probably my favorite thing to do besides writing poems and songs. We walked by the NICU I love seeing the babies they're so freaking cute, sometimes when I visit the newborns their mom's or dad's let me hold the baby it makes my heart swoon when they grab onto your finger with their itty bitty hands.

We went down the elevator  A sign for the new rehab center in the hospital was taped to the wall, I had completely forgot about it. I guess I'll go by tomorrow to investigate. I guess I zoned out pretty hard because before I knew it I was standing in the middle of the emergency room and Miranda was talking to Brandon another nurse in the hospital who worked in the emergency ward. 

He greeted me with a tight hug and a toothy grin, He's pretty lanky so when he gives hugs you can feel his ribcage. Not sure how when I've seen him eat a seven sandwiches back to back, I am most definitely jealous of his extremely fast metabolism. "Hey babydoll how are you feeling today?" "I'm doing alright I'm just a bit bored, is there anything I can help you with?" I looked around the room, there were several empty beds and nobody was waiting to be helped. "Sorry darlin' it's been a pretty boring day today thank fully." Well at least nobody isn't getting hurt out there I thought to myself. "Do you mind if I grab a snack?" "Not at all Z I think there's some pears in their unless Jackson and Aiden got to them." "Alright well thanks."  

I was greeted by an empty room but there were still pears, hell yeah these are my favorite. I walked back to the nurses station curious as to where the hospital's favorite twins were. "Where is Jackson and Aiden, Don't they practically live in the break room?" "Not today Z they ran off on a call about twenty minutes ago?" Sure they did those two clowns probably ran off to Wendy's. "Oh okay." I responded in the most sarcastic way possible. "Oh I know you don't have an attitude with me." "I'm just messing with you Brandon." "Mhm whatever you say doll face." 

Out of nowhere the entrance to the emergency wing flew open. Jackson was pushing a stretcher and Aiden was on it doing heart compressions on a young teenage boy. The boy was very pale and his short black hair looked as if it hadn't been washed in days, he had dark purple bags under his eyes. When was the last time that he slept? What happened to him? Is he going to make it? Before I could get a closer look Miranda started yelling at me, "Zoey get out of here!" 

I was frozen in place, frozen in time, the boy reminds me of someone, He reminds me of her. Suddenly my chest started to hurt as if someone had started stepping on it with their full weight, like someone had grabbed my heart and was squeezing as hard as they could, It hurt to breathe and I was gasping for air. Before I could grab anyone's attention I started getting light headed, My body actually hurts. Then suddenly I started falling and the last thing I saw before the world went dark was the boy jumping up and looking at me with his cloudy blue eyes.

~~~~~

Hi I'm Faith the writer of this monstrosity of a story. This is my first story on Wattpad and I'm pretty excited for it. I just have a couple things I want to go over. I am not a doctor so the facts that were stated earlier I'm not sure are completely true, I did however do some research because I don't want to misrepresent anything. If you see that I misrepresent anything please leave a comment where it's at and I'll fix it. Thank you so so much for reading my story it means the world to me. Hope to see you in future chapters!