Chapter 17

A/N: I'm so so so sorry guys I know I haven't written in literally ages and I don't know how often I will be writing but I hit a terrible writer's block because I didn't know where to go with this book...well I've been reading your comments and thinking up some ideas so I hope if there's anyone left out there who wants to read this that you enjoy. Please keep in mind I started this story in like 7th grade and I'm now a senior so idk how to fill all the plot holes I made but I recognize that they exist. Again I'm really sorry for the hiatus and will do my best to keep posting. Shoot me a message or comment if there's anything you'd like to see and I'll see if I can incorporate it! - A

Katniss' POV
I wake with a jolt, my t-shirt soaked in cold sweat. I don't know why, but I have a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. My mind goes immediately to Liz on her quest and I try hard to force that thought away because simply worrying about her wasn't going to accomplish anything.

I shudder under the damp cloth of my shirt before pulling it off. I roll myself quietly out of my bunk so as not to wake my cabinmates and struggle in the dark to find another shirt. I pull it over my head and make my way cautiously towards the door. As an afterthought, I turn back and grab a sweatshirt, noticing the dark night that awaits me outside.

I step out into the cool night air and breathe it in, almost with relief to be out in nature again and not in the Apollo cabin with everyone else. While it was by no means a small cabin, it was easy for me at least to feel claustrophobic with so many other people in the same space as me. The outdoors--that was where I really was most comfortable. I suppose that made sense though; the woods were always my escape back in District 12, no fences or anything, just pure, untouched nature.

My heart twinges as I recall my home. Even if it hadn't been in the best shape when I left, that didn't change the fact that it was still my home. I feel a sort of guilt because I know that's where I should be right now, and yet I also feel an obligation to this Camp Half-Blood place. To Liz.

Deep in thought, I make my way to the water's edge to clear my head and figure out how I am going to help Liz. How am I going to get to this Empire State Building? I haven't the slightest clue what, or where that was, never mind the task of picking some poor soul to drag along with me.

I expected, this late at night, that the shore would be vacant. We weren't exactly supposed to leave our cabins at night, for safety purposes. To my surprise, a tall, black-haired boy is sitting on the rocks, his feet in the water as he stares straight across the lake. He glances up as I approach and even in only the pale moonlight I can see his deep sea green eyes that remind me of the ocean in the 74th Hunger Games arena. He nods to acknowledge my presence but says nothing as he turns his gaze back to the horizon.

Carefully, I sit down on a rocky ledge about three feet away from him.

"Can't sleep?" I ask nervously. Again, I've never been the best at making conversation or friends.

"Not lately." He says, looking down at the water as it ripples over his feet. "I'm Percy, by the way."

"Katniss," I reply, "I thought I was the only one who came here to think."

"Me, thinking?" He says with a weak smirk. I can tell that he's trying to joke but his heart just isn't in it.

"Well, what other reason do you have for being out here in the middle of the night?" I ask, looking over at him.

He sighs, "I forget that you're new here. I'm glad, honestly. It's refreshing. Frankly, all the celebrity is quite exhausting a lot of the time. It's not always the good kind, either. I'm Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon. So, I guess that's why the water's always been soothing to me." Absentmindedly, he kicks the water and sends a miniature wave rippling out across the lake.