Chapter 4

Katniss' POV

Being claimed... Whatever it was, it sounded strange. I was already receiving stares from other campers, to be claimed sounded like it would just give me more attention.
I walk nervously into the Dining Pavilion, my hands shoved deep into my pockets. I spot Grover, and quicken my pace to meet with him.
Grover sees me coming, and waves.
"Hi Katniss. Nervous? Excited? Both?"
I nod, but mostly agreeing to being nervous. Grover grins.
"Well, you can go sit with the Hermes cabin right now, that's where unclaimed demigods go until they've been claimed by their godly parent. Here, I'll show you where and introduce you."
Grateful that I don't have to go their alone, I follow Grover over to a packed table of kids.
Grover waves to a couple people as we pass other tables, and all of them smile or wave back.
"Katniss, this is Connor and Travis Stoll and Chris Rodriguez. Guys, this is Katniss, she hasn't been claimed yet."
Connor or Travis (I can't tell which) moves over so I can sit on the end of the table.
"Thanks." I mumble and sit down.
Chris starts talking as soon as Grover has left.
"Katniss, any idea who your parent is? Was it your mom or dad? Or do you not know?"
"Uhhhh..." I start, unsure how to answer, "Um, my-my dad, I guess, would be a god..."
Connor or Travis (still don't know which) leans in to join the conversation.
"I saw you walked in with a bow. I'll bet ten drachmas Apollo is her dad."
He looks challengingly at his brother.
"I'm not taking that bet! Almost all of Apollo's children are skilled archers!"
"Yeah, but remember Zhang?", Chris chimes in, "From Camp Jupiter? He's Ares-I mean Mars. Well, both really."
I'm having one of those awkward moments when you have absolutely no idea what people are talking about, and you don't know if it's better to ask about it or just sit there.
A sudden hushing and quieting of the noisy Pavilion makes me look around. Chiron has walked up to the front of the Pavilion, and it seems everyone is expecting food to magically appear at any second.
"Campers," Chiron starts, "Today, I'm pleased to report, has been a peaceful, and therefore calm and successful day. We also have a new camper with us, and I hope that you all will treat her as if she was your own sibling. Because, technically, she is. Please welcome Katniss Everdeen."
I feel everyone's eyes looking at me. I feel like Caesar Flickerman has just introduced me to the entire world all over again. Slowly I stand up, but reluctantly, because I feel like that's what I was supposed to do. I fake a smile, wave and sit back down. At that moment there are gasps and cheers from campers all around the Dining Pavilion. I look around to see what they're looking at, but Chris pokes me and points above my head. I look up, and there's a glowing gold lyre floating above my head. I stand up, and it moves with me. I don't even know how, but all of a sudden I'm holding my bow with my quiver slung over my shoulder. I have a single golden arrow notched on my bow. I look down at it questioningly.
Chiron nods to me and says,
"Go ahead Katniss. You know what to do."
Slowly, I draw my bow, aiming for a moon shot. I release, and the arrow explodes halfway through its arc, a glowing ball not unlike the sun hovering high above, even though there are stars in the night sky.
As if that wasn't strange enough, the miniature Sun starts to swivel and a rich voice begins to recite a haiku:
Girl of a flower,
That's right I am your father,
Archer of the Games.
Then the mini Sun explodes like confetti, but I can still hear the poem echoing through the night.
Chiron claps his hands together, and says unnecessarily,
"Campers. Katniss Everdeen, daughter of Apollo."