Chapter Twenty Seven

The party was in full swing by the time Diana's shock wore off. She had even headed back to her room to freshen up and ensure she looked presentable after her encounter with William.

One look at the mirror told her just hope flushed she looked. She suspected, however, that this had more to do with Ashton than William.

Ashton Miller. The name brought a smile to her face. How he had changed in the last decade.

Ashton was Ariana's younger brother. His earlier comment about finding his sister should have given her that clue. They had very similar facial features, after all. But he was much closer to Diana in age, just a year older. They hadn't been friends by any measure, though. They had too much in common for that – both shy and reserved, keeping to themselves, doing their work quietly.

As soon as school had gotten over, no one had heard from him. Many speculated that he'd gone to join his sister, wherever she was. Despite their age gap, they were very close.

But his earlier comment now had Diana believing otherwise.

So lost in her own thoughts, Diana didn't realize how long she had been away. "Everything alright, Di?" her baby sister, Dahlia asked from the bathroom door.

"All good. What are you doing here, Dahl? Why aren't you at the party with everyone else?"

"Some jerk spilt wine all over me. Mom asked me to go change," she said, pointing to the big red stain all over the front her ivory dress. It appeared that her hair hadn't been spared either. Diana couldn't help but laugh.

"Looks like you're also going to need a shower, kiddo. Get in. I'll get you a towel and a change of clothes. Have this dress ready for me by the time I come back, and I'll throw it into the washer."

Dahlia nodded, "Thanks, Di."

Ten minutes later, Diana was on her way to the party. Just as she was stepping out of the back door, she found the envelope addressed to Derek.

'It looks important,' she thought. 'Better get it to him immediately'. She tucked the envelope under her arm and walked towards the tent, smiling at everyone she passed.

No one gave any acknowledgement of the scene created earlier. She breathed a sigh of relief.

Making her way into the tent, she was overwhelmed by the joy, love and laughter that surrounded her. Derek and Alicia were in the middle of the dance floor, wrapped up in each other, swaying to the music. Declan was laughing as he twirled Aria around. Bother were rare sights for Diana.

Deciding to leave them alone, she walked to where her parents stood, talking to Clarisa's parents. Ashton, Diana didn't fail to notice, stood with them, arms draped around his sister and niece.

"Took you long enough," Diana's mother gave her a pointed look.

"Sorry."

"All good?" her father asked, a knowing look on his face.

"No. But it will be," she smiled.

"Diana, you remember my brother, Ashton. Right?"

"I do now," she grumbled, causing Ashton to burst out laughing, puzzling everyone.

"We have the privilege of running into each other earlier. I also met her fiancé."

"EX," came a chorus of voices.

"My bad."

"I'm sorry I didn't recognize you earlier. You've changed a lot since I last saw you."

"It's okay, Diana. We were hardly friends before."

"Maybe we can change that now?" Diana was surprised by the confidence with which she said it. This had never happened to her before.

"I'd like that." Ashton's smile made her think he knew something she didn't, but she didn't have time to ponder on it. Alicia rushed over to them, panting.

"Oh, god! I'm exhausted," she said, plonking herself down on an empty chair. Her father-in-law offered her a bottle of water, which she gratefully accepted.

Diana looked around for Derek, and found his standing in a corner, speaking to Declan in a hushed tone. The expression on their faces worried her.

'Does it have anything to do with the envelope in my hand?'

"I'll be right back," she said to the group beside her, not waiting for a response.

Her brothers broke apart as she reached them.

"How's everyth - -" She cut them off.

"I don't know what's going on, but it can't be good. You too look extremely nervous. Would it have anything to do with this?" She showed them the envelope she'd picked up before coming to the tent.

"Where did you get this?"

"It was left on the table near the back door."

"Has anyone else seen it?"

"I don't know."

"Have you read it?"

"No. The seal is still intact. What's doing on, Derek? You're scaring me."

"Nothing for you to worry about, Di. Just give me the envelope and go back to what you were doing."

"No way. I want to know what's going on. If you don't tell me, I'll tell the whole family about this envelope." The look on her face told Derek that she wasn't joking.

"Fine," he groaned. Taking the envelope from her hand, Derek pulled Declan and Diana out of the ten.

Inside the envelope was a legal notice – 'You have been served', it said.

"Is this right?"

"I don't know."

"Of course, it's not. If this was real, someone must hand over the envelope personally. I'm going to call the lawyers," Declan started to pull out his phone.

"Hold on. Let's see what it says." Derek pulled out the entire document from the envelope. A piece of paper fell out with it.

"Your brother ruined my life. Now I will ruin yours. I'll see you very soon, dear Son-in-Law."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N. Oh snap! Soooooooooooooo much DRAMA!!!!

Also, new romance anyone? :P

Let me know your thoughts.

And, as always -

LIKE if you enjoyed the story,

VOTE if you think it has promise,

COMMENT on your favorite part of the chapter,

FOLLOW if you want to know what happens next.

Until next time,

Happy reading!