Chapter 31

Gingerkit was terrified. Emberspirit was holding on to her. The. Gingerkit landed with a thud. Gingerkit jumped up. She looked around.

"Where are we mother?" She whimpered. There was no response.

"Mother?" Gingerkit looked around. Her eyes landed on her mother' orange fur.

"Mother!" Gingerkit ran to Emberspirit. Her mother was lying still on the ground. Gingerkit nudged her, but Emberspirit wouldn't get up. Gingerkit licked her mother's ear. Emberspirit's eyes were tightly closed. Gingerkit whimpered. She rubbed against her mother. Gingerkit was relived that Emberspirit was still breathing. That was broken when she heard the eagle squawk. Gingerkit looked around frantically. She could see a little cave area underneath the roots of the tree. Gingerkit dragged her mother underneath. She waited. Nothing happened. Gingerkit realized that the eagle was gone.

It was dusk. Gingerkit was starving. She didn't know how to hunt. Gingerkit headed out of the make-shift den. She sniffed in deeply. Gingerkit could smell mouse. She didn't know how to catch mice but she would try. Gingerkit left the safety of the temporary den nod headed into the woods. She followed her nose. Gingerkit came across a mouse nibbling on a seed. Stealthily, she stalked up onto the mouse. Then she pounced. Gingerkit caught it and snapped its neck, killing it quickly. She had made her first catch!

Gingerkit headed her way back. She sniffed around. "That way!" She thought. Gingerkit made her way over. Then she froze when she heard snapping of twigs.

"This way!" A familiar voice rang out.

"Emberspirit, Gingerkit!" A very familiar voice could be heard. "Patchclaw!" Gingerkit thought excitedly she ran towards the voices.

"I'm here!" She shouted.

"Gingerkit is that you?" Patchclaw called. Gingerkit nodded, then remembered that he couldn't see her.

"Yes!" She answered. There was rustling and Patchclaw bounded out from in front of her. Lynxtalon, Lightstorm, and Gingerstar followed.

"Gingerkit!" Patchclaw ran to her. She purred.

"I caught a mouse!" She said proudly, showing her mouse.

"I see." Patchclaw said. He looked around. "Where's Emberspirit, is she O.k."

"She's hurt, follow me!" Gingerkit said. Then she ran the direction of the temporary den. The rest followed.

Gingerkit came to the roots.

"In here." She said. Lynxtalon went int and came out with Emberspirit, who was still unconscious. Patchclaw picked Gingerkit up and he started walking back.