Who Are You?

After chatting awhile with the older man you finally decided to make a proper introduction "I'm Y/N." You said with a little smile and twinkle in your eye. The older man looked down at you and smiled back, he was much taller than you in an almost comforting way.

"Pleased to meet you, my dear, I'm Dutch." He said in a soothing low voice gently grabbing your hand and giving it a small kiss.

You looked up at him but suddenly got interrupted by a knock on the door, leaving the older man in the living room you quickly walked to the door opening it in surprise to see a local lawman standing in the doorway. "Howdy ma'am but have you seen an older man on the run? He's got long dark slick blacked hair a bit of a sly fellow I must say." The lawman said looking inside the house.

You froze knowing exactly who he was talking about feeling so foolish for letting your guard down and letting a complete stranger into your home. "I-I haven't, what exactly is he wanted for?" You gulped hoping that it wasn't for anything major serious.

"Well, ma'am he seems to be a new stranger here in Valentine, he caused quite the stir up in the saloon almost beat a man to death, well if you hear or see anything make sure to tell the sheriff." The lawman said walking towards his house waving goodbye before heading back to town.

You waved back then slowly closed the door taking a deep breath in and out returning back to the living room Dutch was nowhere in sight, "I'm up here." Dutch called out from upstairs.

You went upstairs only to find him in your room looking at an old photograph standing on top of your dresser, "Are these your folks? You all seem like a pretty happy family in this. I wonder what your father would think if he found out you had a wanted man in your room." Dutch said studying the photograph of your family.

Even though it was years since your father's disappearance you tried your best not to think of it that much but when you did it shattered you like glass. Mother was too lost and heartbroken over it so speaking of him rarely occurred. "Please... Please don't talk about him." You said with a shaky voice but quickly leaving the sadden emotions behind only to remember that there was a wanted man in your house.

Dutch looked over at you only to realize he hit a very tough subject for you only to quickly change the subject to avoid any confrontation, "Thanks for not ratting me out like a snake." Dutch said with a slight smile.

"Y/N! I'm home, I apologize for taking so long the rain was awful but I had a nice gentleman take me home." Your mother called out.

You and Dutch quickly looked at each other knowing that if your mother found him in your room he'd be dead for sure, looking around the bedroom for a place for Dutch to hide frantically you saw the only reasonable option. "Quickly! Out of the window!." You whispered opening the window and grabbing the older man by the shirt collar leading him to his escape.

He looked back at you like there was something he was about to say or do before climbing out the window but he quickly vanished to be nowhere in sight. You closed the window and returned downstairs to listen to your mother tell you about her day but only to be daydreaming about the wanted man with the sly smile.

"Y/N I know I've been hard on you lately since your father left... And you're getting older now and I think it's time for you to go out and explore new things other than our dull yard. Would you like to run some errands for me tomorrow out in town?" Your mother said hesitantly then with a smile wondering if she said was the right thing.

You raised up your head and wondering if what your mother just said was part of your daydream too and your mind was playing tricks on you but you soon realized what she said was true. "Of course!." You said smiling with excitement knowing that tomorrow wasn't another boring day at the house.

In the back of your mind though you still couldn't get the thought of Dutch out of your head curiously wondering if you'd see him in town tomrrow too.