Part 2 [Sakura Focus]

Lately I can't recognise you 
The doctors lied when they said they saved you

Waves of emotion crashed over the newest addition to the Rapappa once the news reached her. Anger. Fear. Sadness? Anything but her usual apathy. She lashed out, grabbing onto the throat of the person who broke the news and slamming them against the wall.

"Why didn't anyone think to tell me sooner?" Sakura growled.

It had been a week. An entire week and yet the word hadn't reached her ears till this student she barely knew came up to her. Otabe was absent, Yoga was silent - which wasn't uncommon, and Magic avoided any sort of conversation. The atmosphere in the club room was sombre. But other than that, the life at Majij-jo continued as usual; fights breaking out every hour. First-year students challenging the top. It was the same old story, just without their best fighter.

The initial reaction swept Sakura into a fit of frustration towards the powers above. On the walk home, she took a detour into the nearby woods where she punched at the trees who had done no wrong and battered the soil with her bruised and bloody fists. A pained yell forced itself from the depths of Sakura's chest. It was pained in the way you would imagine after breaking god knows how many knuckles but instead the result of the emotional turmoil.

The last time Sakura yelled was so loud was when she was abandoned. 

Her head dropped to the pummelled soil, eyes closed and tears still streaming down her cheeks. Sakura pulled her knees in close to her chest, the position reminiscent of a person deep in prayer. A desperate whisper to the kamisama begging this to not be reality. 

"Please bring Salt back," in a hoarse voice she repeated over and over.

After some time had passed, when she was nearing 50 chants, Sakura got back to her feet. She dusted off her uniform and retrieved her bag from where she had thrown it. "I know you aren't listening. That's fine," she spoke out loud to whatever powers were caring. 

"I had a lot left to learn from you, Shimazaki-san. I won't let you down," she undid her neck ribbon and tied it around a tree. 

Her fingers traced the carving in the bark. "Salt, so this was where you used to retreat to. I now understand why, no one is nearby enough to hear your outbursts of frustration."