Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

Mina Sakurai’s POV

As I got dragged away by Kakeru, I peeked at the young man’s distressed face one last time and looked away wondering what my connection was with this guy and why he looked so hurt. When I snapped out of it, I was already in an empty hallway. Kakeru stopped and turned around facing me with a serious face.

“What was he saying to you?”

I looked away from his eyes. “Umm... I was just asking a question about homework.”

“Are you sure that was it? Was he troubling you?”

“Don’t worry. He’s in my...” I pondered as I stared down at the floor. “...English Class!” I looked up seeing his relieved face.

“Sorry for being so clingy. I was just worried about you.”

“It’s okay. You’re fine just the way you are” I said with a soft smile while feeling a little guilty for lying.

“At least rely on me a little when you’re bothered.” He looked at me dejectedly. “I love you.” Kakeru planted a kiss on my forehead and headed for his afternoon class.

As for me, I just headed home with a sigh since I didn’t have any classes left to attend.

***

The next morning, I woke up early to go apply for the part-time job at the flower shop. The reason I chose that place is because flowers make me feel relaxed and part of me thought that I would be able to meet that young man again and find out more about him.

I prepared quietly since I didn’t want to wake up Kakeru; he didn’t have to go to school. I had made up my mind to work in order to repay the Hashimotos for the kindness they had given me since the accident. I haven’t said anything to them yet; it’ll be a surprise.

I headed outside and made my way to the shop.

When I entered, the lady was very welcoming and I didn’t even have to say what I came here for. The lady smiled gently at me and handed me the job form.

“I saw you the other day, I knew you’d come back.” She winked at me.

I took the form and filled it in immediately.

“I look forward to working with you. You can call me Mrs. Hanazawa.”

“Nice to meet you, I’m Mina Sakurai.” I bowed elatedly and left the shop.

As I skipped happily to the university, I thought about working with something I loved, but I wasn’t sure why I had such affection towards flowers. While thinking of that, I felt a sharp pain in my head, but then it suddenly vanished so I didn’t think much of it.

The moment I entered English class, I noticed the guy that I talked to in the cafeteria from yesterday which was shocking since that white lie I told Kakeru turned out to be the truth. Never would I have thought that he would really be in my English class.

He was looking out the window as I approached him carefully. His defined jaw line and his silky yet messy black hair stood out which made him look manly. At that moment, he turned around and his blue eyes caught my attention.

***

Aaron Kimura’s POV

While sitting in class and waiting for the teacher to come, I was pondering about yesterday’s incident and all the unanswered questions in my mind. I thought about what I should do when I meet up with her again to not make things awkward.

As I felt a gaze on me, I quickly turned around and saw none other but Mina staring straight at me. She flinched, blushed and looked away.

“Would you like to sit here?” I said embarrassingly.

She didn’t answer me, so I thought she had rejected my offer.

Suddenly, she sat down next to me.

“Hi, my name is Mina Sakurai.” She eyed me.

Surprised at her greeting, I decided to forget about the incident and give her a proper introduction whether she remembers me or not.

“Nice to finally meet you, my name is Aaron Kimura.” I said with a warm smile.

“I hope we can start over and become good friends.”

“Of course.”

The English teacher came in the classroom and interrupted our conversation.

I watched Mina focusing on the lesson and thought about how much she had changed in 10 years. She has become much more beautiful and elegant.

When the class ended, we said our goodbyes and headed our own ways. I realized that we didn’t talk much, but it was a huge improvement from our first meeting.

 It doesn’t matter if I have to restart from zero with Mina. As long as I can interact with her again, I’m happy. But, I sure hope that she’ll remember me as time goes on.

As these thoughts fill my head, the class ended.

***

Like a usual Saturday morning, I went to the gym to work out to relieve my stress. As I jogged back home, I passed by Mrs. Hanazawa’s store and thought I’d drop by to say hi. Before I even entered, she noticed me at the front door and waved at me excitedly.

“Aaron! What brings you here?”

“I was around the neighborhood and thought I’d say hi.”

“That’s very nice of you.”

As Mrs. Hanazawa began chatting with me, I heard some noise in the back of the shop.

“Did you hire someone?” I looked at her curiously.

“Oh right! Come in, I’ll introduce you to her.”

I walked in eagerly and saw a young lady organizing the flower pots. I looked at her closely and realized that it was...

“Mina!?” I yelled.