Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Glinda would you be so kind as to tell me where you are taking me?" Boq questioned the witch as they walked down a dark hallway.

"I told you today, we are going to see an old friend of mine."

The word friend rolled off her tongue sourly as she spoke it. She was in no position to be calling the wizard her friend. However, there was something Glinda didn't know and these two people from her past could give her answers.

"Where's does this friend of yours live, a dark pit?" Boq laughed nervously.

"Not quite. For now, he resides in a jail cell." She said calmly.

"We are going down to the dungeons?" Boq questioned with a sense of urgency in his voice.

A smile played at Glinda's lips as she turned to the quaking tin man who had stopped in his tracks.

"Come on Boq, it's not much further."

"Actually, I just realised I have something else to do. Goodbye Glinda."

He began to walk away quickly but the blonde caught up to him. She grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

"The Boq I knew wasn't a coward. Is the Boq I know now a coward?"

"He certainly is not. I just don't want to meet your friend who is in prison along with various other prisoners who could quite possibly hurt me."

"I'll hold your hand if it makes you feel better." She laughed lightly and took his hand.

His silver face seemed to turn a shade of red as they walked hand in hand.

They arrived at the, surprisingly quiet, jail cells in the next few moments. Everyone seemed to be sleeping in their beds when they walked past. Boq looked nosily into each cell they passed. He tugged Glinda's hand to a stop and pointed inside a cell at a sleeping woman who he recognised.

"Is this who we are seeing?" He asked quietly.

She shook her head and began to walk with him again.

"I have not spoke to her in the time she has spent in this jail. Her sentence ends next year, unfortunately."

He gave a small nod and continued to follow Glinda along. She stopped him a few cells later and pointed at The Wizard inside his cell. Unlike the other residents he was not asleep. He was sat on the edge of his bed with his hands clasped and his head down.

"What is he doing here?" Boq asked a little too loudly.

The Wizards head shot up and looked at the pair.

"Come to your senses yet Glinda?" He asked, ignoring Boq.

"I came to my senses many years ago. That question should have been directed towards yourself." She replied.

She pulled out a set of keys for her bag and unlocked the door. She walked inside and invited Boq to do the same. The tin man walked in cautiously and closed the door behind him. While Boq stayed by the door Glinda took a seat across from The Wizard.

"Might I ask what you are doing here at a time like this?" He asked.

"You said you seen her." Glinda cut to the chase.

"Who? My daughter, I-"

"She is not your daughter." Glinda growled at him.

Through glared eyes he looked at her and continued to speak.

"I saw her traveling. Why do you ask, you believe she is dead."

"She is and I don't believe you, neither do I believe him. All I want is for you both to tell me what you think you know."

"Glinda this isn't a good idea." Boq interjected.

She turned to him and shook her head.

"This is all I have Boq. At this point she is a dying flame. If I don't try and keep her memory alive in some way then she will burn out. I can't let go of her."

Boq nodded and stepped back. The witch turned to the Wizard with a frown.

"What would you like to know?" He asked.

"Everything. Tell me everything you have seen."

The night went on and both Boq and The Wizard told stories of what they had seen and heard about the girl of green. Their only source of light was a dim candle in the cell that stayed lit until morning when the sun rose. By that time all the stories and rumours had been shared between the three. Though she still wasn't convinced by there stories a though niggled at the back of her mind.

'What if she isn't dead?'