Chapter 14

Chapter 14

The day went by like a whirlwind for Elphaba and Fiyero. They had been welcomed warmly into the group of people with strange abilities and noticeable differences. They had even been reunited with their old friend Doctor Dillamond. After learning more about this underground society they began to understand it more. People like them had joined together in a community where they would be safe from harm and judgment from the people of Oz. Even though they were smart and had bright ideas nobody could see past their differences. It was known to this small community as The Green Witch's Underground or just Underground for short.

It had been started shortly after Elphabas 'death' and was founded by Bellona and Ora's parents, Apollo and Freya. At the time they had quietly supported the woman who was known as The Wicked Witch. They found Doctor Dillamond roaming around Oz, not being able to say a word, just days after Dorothy left Oz. They took him in and tried to help him become an Animal once again. However before they could even begin to help him riots began. People were protesting that people who were different were a threat to everyone. If you had one tiny difference from an ordinary person you were shunned or threatened. Bellona had only been a young girl and Ora a baby. One night their home had been broken in to and the family threatened. They had been called evil and wicked for their cyclops eyes.

Break ins like this were happening all over Oz but they were not being heard about by anyone with authority. Since the wizard had left everything was up in the air while Glinda tried to somehow get Oz back to its former glory. All the trouble happening just seemed to be sweeped under the rug.

Soon after the break in the family and Doctor Dillamond were forced to leave their home in fear. As they traveled they found another family almost like them. The family of three, two parents Mhina and Donovan and and a son named Midas, were on the run for them being classed as evil because of the horns that were present on father and son. The group of eight traveled together before finding an old and abandoned cave system that was perfect for their hiding. Five years later they had built up to the society they are today. They made the cave system into their own sort of home, with rooms for everyone. Doctor Dillamond went through rehabilitation and was now on his way back to full speech.

Many families, couples and people had joined them over time. Within the underground two children had been born, a couple had got married and many friendships had been created. Now the person they could thank for it all was here with them and alive. Nobody quite knew what to do except from invite them to stay for as long as they needed, nobody would find them here. For once they could relax.

Everyone had gathered in the large circular room where they had first entered. This was basically their equivalent to a living room. Elphaba took note of all the people who walked in. Everyone was different; young and old, tall and small and other things that separated them. Elphaba smiled as a girl Ora's age entered and sat down next to her.

"I thought she was dead!" The girl whispered loudly to Ora.

"That's what I said! Apparently not."

"Settle down please everyone," Apollo shouted in an attempt to gain silence. Once the room had somewhat gave him their attention he continued. "As you may see we have a very special visitor, one we couldn't dream of ever meeting."

Elphaba gave a small smile as all eyes seemed to draw to her. She was stood just behind Apollo with Fiyero by her side. She felt nervous having all these strangers staring at her. With having only Fiyero as a companion over the years it was a little overwhelming to have so many people staring at her. She felt Fiyeros fingers intertwine with hers and squeeze her hand tightly as a sort of reassurance.

"Elphaba and her partner Fiyero will be staying with us for as long as they need. We ask that you please let them rest tonight as you have done with all new travellers and give them time to settle in."

"We do believe that they will be a great asset to our community." Freya added with a smile.

The whole room gave a clap and a few cheers. Elphaba scanned the room of happy faces and caught eyes with Doctor Dillamond. A man she had admired so greatly was finally back with her after believing she would never see him again. This whole place seemed like a dream.

"Elphaba would you care to say something?" Apollo asked as the applause died down.

She looked at him nervously but he just gave her a warm smile.

"Well, I-" before she could even start the sound of clattering footsteps and shouts came from the entrance tunnel which they had entered through with Bellona and Ora only hours ago.

"It's Hermes! I'm back and I have news." The shouts echoed.

Moments later a man ran into the room. He was fairly tall with short blonde hair. He stopped breathlessly in front of the already gathered audience and took a moment to gather himself.

"Hermes is our messenger," Freya whispered quietly to Elphaba and Fiyero. "He doesn't live with us but he supports us. He often travels here and brings us back news from Oz."

"I have an important news!" He said loudly as he regained himself.

"Is this still concerning the guards patrolling Oz?" Bellona asked.

"No, this is different."

"Well hurry up and tell us." Somebody shouted.

"It's the wizard, he's back. He's back in Oz and back in power. Glinda made the announcement not long ago." Hermes said.

The room fell silent for a moment. Nobody knew what to say, especially Elphaba. The last time the wizard was in power everything had gone wrong. It seemed that a dark cloud was looming over their sun

"Everyone back to your rooms now!" Apollo bellowed.