Prolouge

"Connor, you're transferring to Cyber Academy," His mother said, not even glancing up from her newspaper.

"Okay, mother." Connor replied, acting indifferent about the situation.

It's not as if he had any friends there, anyway. 

"You don't need friends, you need to succeed," was the message his mother had told him since before he started preschool. 

He knew that other kids had opinions about him. "Nerd, loner, loser, mommy's boy," were all things that he commonly heard said about him, sometimes from kids too loud gossip, other times to his face as he got slammed into a wall. He remembered when he was younger, he tried telling his mom about how the other kids treated him. 

"Mother, the other kids are so mean!" he told her, tears streaming down his face.

The curly-haired boy was met with a sharp slap. "Quit your whining! Do you have clue how much I do for you? Who took you in when your parents left you on the street? Who got you the best education possible? And you complain about 'other kids being mean'? If you want to succeed, then get over stupid emotions. You will never accomplish anything if you act like such a crybaby. Why can't you be more like your brother Niles? He never whines, has perfect grades, plenty of friends and is younger then you! You're pathetic, Connor."

He hasn't cried since that incident. Never really shows much emotion. It felt as if his mother was always in his mind, scolding and nagging him even when she wasn't physically there. Always reminding him to keep his feelings locked up and keep a poker face. Be the perfect son like Nines. 

Tomorrow, he would go to a new school. There was no big deal about it. The only thing changing was that now he would not be going to school with his younger brother and have his mother as the headmaster. No worries, right?