7

Weeks passed and while Marcus tried to keep his promise to Joseph, he couldn't manage to keep Leila from leaving. She had her coat on while Marcus almost built a barricade in front of the door, yet she managed to slip by him every single time.
Joseph watched with frustration as Leila brushed by people and reached the door. She gave him one more look until she bolted through the door and into the cold Washington night.
On that particular Saturday night, Hewitt gripped his guitar so hard, knuckles turning white.
Two more shows and they would be done. Six weeks had passed like a blink of an eye and while the rest of the band was happy about finishing their reoccurring gigs at the Lockley's, Joseph felt nothing more than frustrated.
Ok, he never had been that kind of a guy who would obsess about something. He had Darius for that and from the side, that personal characteristics was annoying and funny at the same time. Truth be told, Joseph never imagined himself ogling a girl so hard would even be possible but now... that obsessive little bit had devoured himself and left him almost empty inside.
"Thanks guys. Have a great night," he spoke into the microphone, slipping the guitar off his shoulder and against the amp behind him.
It was the end of the sixth night at the pub and while everyone started dressing and heading out of Marcus's pub, Joseph dragged his feet over to the bar.
"She's wise. Slipped by me," Marcus held his hands up in a defensive gesture.
"Doesn't matter. This is crazy."
"Dude. Don't say that. Over the years I have seen you play in local pubs, concert halls and here. Girls go nuts for you. You've had the power of 'take your pick', but tonight when these two brunettes flashed you, you had your attention on something else other that those latin twins. She has gotten to you, wrapped you around her finger in a way I didn't know if Hewitt could be," Marcus said, circling around the bar and propped down beside Joseph.

"What are you trying to say? That I am in love with a girl who I don't even know?"

Marcus burst out laughing.
"God no. This isn't love. Jesus, you don't know anything about feelings, do you?"

"Feelings? Now, you're insane," Joseph stated. "Here's the thing. I do not feel anything for her, besides curiosity. She might be married. She might be engaged. So, I don't know anything about her and while her pattern of coming here and sitting by this bar, drinking wine and then leaving brings up curiosity, I don't feel anything else for her."
"So she just seems simply interesting to you?" Marcus asked.
"Yes," Joseph replied, eyeing the door behind him," yes, simply interesting."

***
The door to the studio opened and then closed again. Joseph sat behind the mastering desk, listening to the new track again and again.
He and Darius had worked on a new tune, something Joseph had fiddled on his guitar weeks ago. It was a simplistic melody, with beats repeating throughout the length. A piano, a bass and drums.
Joseph pushed the play button again and listened to it for the thousandth time. He had the melody but he didn't have the words. Well, he had one line but it really didn't make sense yet it fit perfectly.

"So could you tell my foolish heart that you've never loved someone so hard."

The producer and the engineer for his new album came back from their lunch and placed a small container of soup and a Starbucks coffee on the coffee table for him.
He glanced at them but went back to listening to the track.
"How's it going?" Colleen May, the resident producer of the studio sunk into her large leather chair and spun it, facing Hewitt.
"I think it is good. Very good. Not getting a great idea for the lyrics yet." He responded.

"No rush," May said. "You'll find inspiration whenever it hits you."
"Yeah..."

"Meanwhile, let's record acoustic guitar for the next one. I have two more hours until the next booking."
With a hesitant smile, Joseph pulled himself out of the chair and forced himself to grab the guitar. He was tired, had gotten barely two hours of sleep last night.

***
It was the seventh show in Lockley's and they had a full house. Midway through the gig, Joseph searched the crowd for Leila and noticed her by a table at the back. She was smiling and laughing to whatever the guy on her right said. This time she wasn't just sitting by the bar and drinking her one glass of wine. She was mingling, having a great time.

Despite the fact that Joseph hadn't gotten her out of his mind, he decided to focus on the gig itself and give the people a great show. People danced and drink, getting more into the groove as ever. Luckily tonight, everyone knew how to behave and not one girl climbed on the stage. He was safe from getting grouped and touched by horny women.
When Joseph decided to end the night with a "Sex on fire", people got extra cheerful and bounced around the dance floor with their dates.

By the end of the song, Leila was still there. And she wasn't moving toward the door or getting her coat. She was silently watching him.
Immediately, Joseph get rid of the guitar and and without a goodbye to the audience, left the stage. He pushed through the crowd and down to the bar, where for his huge surprise, Leila was still standing.
"Hey," she said, wrapping her arms around her chest, cold or nervous he thought.
"Hi."
Without saying anything else, Leila took her coat. "Can you come with me please? I have something to give you."
He glanced at Marcus, finding him mouthing of a 'go'.
He didn't need to know the reason she asked him to go with him. He just didn't.