Chase | e i g h t

"She is awake."

I don't need to hear it twice, I get up and rush into her room.

The white hospital gown is too baggy on her tiny form, the bruises are still scattered all over her body but she still looks beautiful in my eyes.

I smile.

"Thank god you're awake!" I say as I take a step closer to her. Her eyes snap to mine as she gasps, looking surprised, but it doesn't last.

Briar's eyes suddenly look distant, she looks away from me and I try not to feel hurt.

Well deserved.

You were an asshole.

I kick myself mentally.

"Why did you save me?" My eyes desperately search for hers as soon as those words leave her mouth.

I am taken aback. "What do you mean?" I ask flabbergasted, taking a step closer to her.

"You should have let me die. I wish you would have let me rot there." Tears flow from her eyes. She raises her hand to her face but flinches her face contouring into a pained one.

I take another step closer. "Briar," I start, taking her hand in mine. "Never say that again. I would never have been able to live with myself if anything had happened to you because....because I lo...."

"Stop," she interrupts me, before prying her fragile hands away from my grasp. "Don't worry, I dont blame you for anything. I got into this mess myself. You saved me which means that you also read my letters I guess....I don't know what I was thinking," she lets out a humorless chuckle as a tear rolls down her face.

"Please forget about everything I said. Thanks again for saving me...I wont ever disturb you again," her voice is flat and I panick.

What.

No.

"Please leave." I shake my head at her before trying to take her hand in mine again. "Listen, Briar..."

"Leave Chase, I can't look at you anymore. What I did is unforgivable. I took away your sister from you but I think I paid the price for that. Now I beg you, please leave. I love you, but I can't ask you to love me back when you don't.... I hope you'll live a good life from now on... I hope you have forgiven me....."

"Briar, you don't understand. I lov....."

"I am leaving," she says interrupting me again.

"Leaving?" No, I wouldn't let her walk out of my life again. "To live with my father. I need a fresh start and I need to get away. Now please leave before I call the nurses," she points toward the door.

Anger seeps into me. I slip my hand into my jean pocket before getting out her phone. "Fine, I'll leave you for now. But don't think that I will ever let you walk out of my life again." I slap the phone onto her nightstand before marching out.

Leave.

Leave?!

She can not leave me. Not now, not ever.

She was my future wife, if she'd have me that is.

The mommy of my future children, if she'd let me make sweet love to her over and over again

I blush at the thought.

I would be a fool to let you out of my life again.